Possible Virus?

Reaction score
We had a PC on our network that may have had a virus. Now, the Mac won't run Text Editor, Script Editor, Mail, or Safari. Anyone know of anything to fix it?

Reaction score
Hello Claire@ISI and Welcome!!

Let's rule some things out here. Try repairing your disk permissions. Go to Applications --> Utilities --> Disk Utility --> Select your Macintosh HD and click Repair Disk Permissions. Then restart your computer. Let us know if this works out for you!

Searay

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Claire,

can you also let us know what type of Mac you have and what version of OS it is running.

I would be very surprised if it was a virus, 99.9% certain that it isn't.

Let us know how you get on once you've done the repairs suggested by Searay.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Sorry I've not responded, yet. Searay's advice didn't fix the problem.

The computer is a G4 PowerMac, running OS X Panther, 10.3.9.

Several Mac-based programs don't work, but the Adobe programs and Internet Explorer do.

Ric

Reaction score
Do the programs that don't run give any error messages ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
No. They don't open at all. Also, now when you click anything in Disk Utility, the cursor just spins. And, when you go to Internet Explorer to the Norton or Symantec sites, Explorer locks up.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Claire,

is there anyone at work who has been 'messing' around with it...

It sounds more like someone who has PC knowledge and not Ma, has been poking around and possibly done more harm than good.

The best course of action would be to backup any important data, then do a Archive and Install using the orignal OS Disks. This would then place a fresh system on the Mac.

If you're not sure let us know and we'll talk you through it...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Have you tried Preferential Treatment?

Preferential Treatment
Sometimes Preview just won't work for me so I move it's preferences to trash, delete them then reload the program and it works just fine.

Reaction score
We did the Archive and Install and now the computer seems to be working just fine. Thanks for your help! You guys are great. We know where to come if we have more trouble in the future.

Ask a Question