Please help!

Reaction score
Opened a retail website to shop. While browsing the site, and without my knowledge, a download of their catalog started feeding into my desktop. It was a PDF file. The file would not open in my Adobe with a pop-up of "THERE WAS AN ERROR OPENING THIS DOCUMENT. THE FILE IS DAMAGED AND COULD NOT BE OPENED." It will not drag into my trash with a pop-up of "THE ITEM ______.pdf IS BEING USED BY ANOTHER TASK RIGHT NOW (OTHER TASKS INCLUDE MOVING, COPYING, OR EMPTYING TRASH. TRY AGAIN WHEN TASK IS COMPLETE.
The file just keeps attempting to download endlessly and when you try to drag it to trash it does the same, just keeps trying to "move to trash" endlessly. It has really slowed down my system since this happened. i've tried everything I can and have asked some computer geeks for help and they are stumped too. Please send any help emails to (e-mail address removed). THANK YOU!!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

did you 'download' it via Safari...if so can you click the cancel button in the downloads window.

Then quit out of all your open Apps... and do this...

Open the Application "Terminal" it will be in the Application-->Utilities Folder

then type

Code:
rm /Users/[B]yourusername[/B]/Desktop/[B]thisisthefilettodelete.pdf[/B]

replace the bits in bold with your own data...

then press return.

This should delete the file.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question