picasa conflict

Reaction score
Hi.

I downloaded picasa for mac a few days ago. Ever since then, when I connect my camera to the USB port - it does not "read" on the hard drive. I then figured out that I could still import the photos from Picasa - but I want to be able to read the card directly from the desktop. Can anyone help?

I went into Picasa setting and where it says "when camera is connected", the options are to "open picasa" or "do nothing". Mine is on "do nothing".

Thanks!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are seeking, sarumann, but here goes anyway.

In your Applications folder you will find Image Capture.app. Double-Click it to launch the app:

20100905-mtm87htjdkfxfqr9q1aq9p34dy.jpg

This is the window that opens up when you launch Image Capture.app with your digital camera attached via USB and turned on with the setting enabled that allows your camera to talk to your mac.

• In the upper left you can see my camera has been detected.
  • In the window to the right, you can see that Image Capture has detected the photos on my cameras flash card.
  • In the lower left you can see a pull-down menu where you can set exactly what app you want to launch whenever you connect your digital camera to your mac.

20100905-jifw2wwfj7x1c5wd8euw4jeqj2.jpg
    20100905-pjnhwdgje4sf714xwmjsr6r8qy.jpg

• At the bottom of the window you can see another pull-down menu where you select a location for the downloaded photos to be stored. I think by default they are downloaded to your Pictures folder but you can change that.

BTW I am using Snow Leopard but I'm sure the above info is good for you unless your are using an older version of Mac OS. :)

Reaction score
Thanks Spawn for your response.

My problem is slightly different. After connecting the camera, the icon for the camera (Canon Powershot etc) does not show up on the desktop. So when I am done moving images (either from image capture or picasa), there is nothing to drag from the desktop to eject.

With what you told me, i am able to get image capture to open up - but the device is not showing up on my desktop....see my problem?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Let me get this clear, are you saying that prior to downloading Picassa, your digi camera mounted on your Desktop as an drive?

Which mac do you have and what OS version are you using? Also what type of camera do you have?

Reaction score
Yes, indeed. It would show up on my desktop, just like my flip (which still does) or any thumb drive.

I have a Macbook, OS 10.5.8.

A canon SD 100 and a SONY NEX-3. The canon wont show up on the desktop (My sony used to before - but I have not been able to test it the last few days - as it has been lent out).

Thanks...

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Are you able to reformat the SD card? If possible I would try that ... also try logging into another User Acct on your Macbook to see if the issue is System wide or just contained to your User acct.

If you don't have another acct you can create one in System Prefs ~> System ~> Accounts ...

Also make sure that the pull-down menu in Image Capture where it says which app should launch when an attached digital camera is detected, is set to "No Application" ... until we get to the bottom of this.

I will do some more investigating to see if anyone else has had the same issue as you, and maybe have found a solution ...

Ask a Question