PB Keyboard starting to fail

Reaction score
I have a PB 1.5gHz 15" with a backlit keyoard that is starting to fail. There are two issues that happen.

One of them is when I start up or wake the computer the 3 E N D keys won't work for about five minutes. This is insanely annoying, not having the most common letter in english E. I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software issue (maybe even firmware).

The other problem is definitely hardware. The option and right left button work about 50% of the time. The left shift button never has this problem, which is why it's hardware.

All the other keys work just fine.
My warranty ran out a year or so ago, I ordered Apple Care six days too late (I had forgottent the exact date I had bought it). :eek: DOH!

So I was wondering what my options are? Has anyone else experienced this?

Reaction score
I have a PB 1.5gHz 15" with a backlit keyoard that is starting to fail. There are two issues that happen.

One of them is when I start up or wake the computer the 3 E N D keys won't work for about five minutes. This is insanely annoying, not having the most common letter in english E. I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software issue (maybe even firmware).

The other problem is definitely hardware. The option and right left button work about 50% of the time. The left shift button never has this problem, which is why it's hardware.

All the other keys work just fine.
My warranty ran out a year or so ago, I ordered Apple Care six days too late (I had forgottent the exact date I had bought it). :eek: DOH!

So I was wondering what my options are? Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi moesyczlak, and welcome to the forum :)

From what you describe, it sounds like the keyboard is experiencing bad electronic contacts. This can be due to either any form of dampness ( a drop of water, a spilled drink that results in minor splashes on the keyboard etc.) or the actual life-span of the keys.

Keyboards do have a life-span in that each key has an average number of times it can be tapped before failing. You would use "E/N/D" very regularily, and maybe the "3" not working is due to the failing contacts of E since they are aligned diagonally to one another and may use the same contact line underneath.

I would suggest maybe a small external bluetooth keyboard, or a USB one. I think a wireless one would be the better option though. You could also look at EBay as sometimes people sell the keyboards for Powerbooks, but the taking apart process is very time-consuming and requires patience and a delicate hand.

If you do get another keyboard, you can find out how to take apart your powerbook to replace it HERE, but I would only recommend this if you have previous experience of replacing hardware or you are fully confident in doing so. :)

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

to add to kyomii's excellent suggestions...try hoovering it...vacuming it.

There may be a few crumbs in there that are stopping the keys working.

let us know how you get on...

regards

Ric

Ask a Question