Password retrieval

Reaction score
I have inherited my deceased brothers 27' Intel Imac and when I turn it in the Mac OS X comes on. Unfortunately my brother did not leave any understandable clues to the passwords. I therefore tried to do a reinstall and archive . I turned computer on with install disc in and pressed control while doing so but again only the logo comes up. I am therefore unable to access the Imac. Can someone please help.

Reaction score
To boot from the install DVD you need to press C, not control. Pressing C will make the Mac start from the DVD. You'll then be able to re-assign the password.

Reaction score
If you plan to use your brothers account you won't have access to his Keychain, you will want to go and make a new one otherwise it will nag you for his old password, which you don't have.

A better plan would be to:
In the Apple Menu > System Preferences > Account, use the Plus and minus to...
Immediately make an Admin Account, and then log into that.
From there make a standard account for your normal use.
Log back into your brothers account, make a backup of his files, especially iPhoto photos. You might want to get an external FireWire Drive for this.
Then log into your normal account and Delete your brothers account. This will require the Admin Password, but you know that because you made the Admin Account;-)

Work in your account and when it needs an Admin Password just enter the Admin Password you made. You should never really need to login to the Admin Account.

Reaction score
Many thanks. I have tried to boot from install with c as well as control. The c allowed me to reinstall which was great then lo and hold the darn MacX little square box popped up on the middle of the screen again with the log in demanded.
As soon as the Imac boots up this logo appears and I cannot access anything at all so I can't even try the second suggestion posted.
If I can't fix it I'll have to take it into an Apple store. My only problem is I'm 68, tiny and live rurally and this is one big gorgeous but heavy and awkward baby. So to fix it myself would be a blessing, but sometimes one has to take and roll with the punches.
Thankyou both so much for your attempts to help me. Much appreciated, Beverley

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
What exactly does the little square box have written above or in it?

Try this:

Start up from the install Disc. Go past the Language section and in the next screen look up in the top of the screen for Utilities in the menu. Click the menu and scroll down looking for a password reset option. Then choose to exit the installation and restart your Mac and see if you can then log in.

Reaction score
You are not trying to reinstall OS X, you are trying to change the Password.
Note: Reinstalling an OLD version from the DVD over an updated version is not a good thing to do.

So you will need to add additional steps to setting up the Accounts.
Ensure you are on the Internet. By Opening Safari and viewing a Web Page.
While logged into the Admin account, from the Apple Menu, repeatedly run and install Software Updates until there are no more updates to install. This may take sometime, ensure you don't have a data limit as many will also be large.

Reaction score
Hi there ,
OK this is what happens.
I turn Imac on and blue screen appears followed by purple night sky screen. In the centre is a white box with an Apple logo and beneath the writing MAC OS X
Below this in small print is Nimbin's Imac
Further below are 3 little boxes perpendicular .
1st one has photo and the name ming
2nd one a photo and the name nimbin
3rd one a photo and the name other
Each box when accesses demands a password. There is a clue but we have not been able to solve the passwords.
At the bottom it has a final 3 options of
sleep restart shutdown

So I cannot get passed this. In other words no password...no access except the last 3 options. Does this info help? Make clearer? Cheers Beverley

Reaction score
It's the standard Mac Logon Screen, yes you have to have a valid Password, thats Mac Security. We can't help trying to guess the passwords, we can only tell you how to reset an Admin Account.

Start up from the install Disc. Go past the Language section and in the next screen look up in the top of the screen for Utilities in the menu. Click the menu and scroll down looking for a password reset option. Then choose to exit the installation and restart your Mac and see if you can then log in.

Reaction score
Dear Kaveman, Many thanks for your assistance. I have been too busy with funeral arrangements to take the computer action any further for now. The funeral for my brother is today, so tomorrow I will be able to tackle it all again.
Peace, Applecake

Ask a Question