Paraplegic computer, dying slowly from the inside. Broken mouse and kayboard.

Reaction score
Stats: Macbook running Leopord, with 10.5.6

I've been sabotaged- some important files in my extensions folder got deleted (I think some USB files). My computer still works, but my mouse and keyboard are completely non-responsive; basically, my computer is paralyzed.
I tried booting in safe mode- didn't work. I get to the password screen and I can't move my mouse or use my keyboard. Even the Caps-Lock light doesn't turn on.
Interestingly, the computer recognizes the keyboard when it's still in boot-up mode. I only know this because it understands when I want to boot in safe mode (and I hold down Shift), and it even boots in safe mode, but I still can't use mouse or keyboard.
So- any advice, tips or suggestions from the pros?

Reaction score
What Computer. How long have you had it. If your computer more than 3 years Its possible you PRAM Battery is dead.

Years ago Apple used Lithium batteries and they would last 7 or 8 years or more. Then they decided to cut cost and use mercury batteries most are luck if they last three.

In Desktop units open the computer and look for a battery that looks similar to a AA battery that has about a third of its length has been chopped off.

there will be shield over it. remove shield pop out of socket go to nearest Radio Shack or Electronics repair store and buy replacement battery.

Put back in socket. look for a small push button switch. press and hold 5 seconds then release.

Now close up computer. Turn on and try out.

NOW if you have a Powerbook and take to the nearest replace and have PRAM Battery replaced. I have my own PowerBook 17" PRAM Battery problems. I went to MacFitIt site, and there is 6 pages of instructions just to get to the Battery and instead of simple plug battery like in a Desktop Unit its attached to a USB circuit board and cost almost $100.00. Why they can't have the $20.00 Battery in the desktop.

Ask a Question