Option–Shift–Left Arrow in FireFox selects AND jumps to last tab !

Reaction score
Hi,

Up to the last 2 weeks or so, Option—Shift—Left Arrow would work to select whatever was
to the left of the cursor.

This is the default behavior for Option—Shift—Left Arrow in Macs:

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT201236

"Option—Shift—Left Arrow: Extend text selection to the beginning of the current word, then
to the beginning of the following word if pressed again."

Now executing Option—Shift—Left Arrow in FireFox 68.0.1 not only does the above noted selection,
but also causes FF to jump to the most recently opened/used tab !

This is not seen with Option—Shift—Right Arrow.

Additionally, repeating Option—Shift—Left Arrow takes me back to the original tab, showing my
selected/hi-lighted word.

Doing Option—Shift—Left Arrow again takes me back to the previous tab, and on and on, swapping
between the two tabs and hi-liting/selecting the next word to the left of the previous selection !

***This does NOT happen in Safari !!

In Safari, Option—Shift—Left Arrow does just what its supposed to do: Extend text selection to the
beginning of the current word, then to the beginning of the following word if pressed again.

Whats going on with FireFox?

Is this keystroke combination reserved for this function in FF ?

Or is this a new quirk with the latest release?

Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I just tested it with Firefox 68.0.1 on High Sierra 10.13.6, and mine works as it should.

I would check in  > System Preferences... > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts and see if there is an entry for Firefox.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

I just tested it with Firefox 68.0.1 on High Sierra 10.13.6, and mine works as it should.

I would check in  > System Preferences... > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts and see if there is an entry for Firefox.

C

Did all that.

The solution was given by the developer of an extension: jscher2000

The extension: Switch To Last Accessed Tab

Buried in the documentation of his extension is the exact keyboard shortcut
that has been driving me nuts.

To his credit, Jscher2000 also taught me how to customize not only his extension
but all extensions that one may have added to FF that have a keyboard shortcut.

(Jscher2000's) Chosen Solution

I don't see Option+Shift+Left on the list here:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/keyboard-shortcuts-perform-firefox-tasks-quickly#w_windows-tabs
In the unlikely case that you use an extension I created, that might be the previous tab hotkey. To change the hotkey, there's a command on the Add-ons page:

And many apologies if it's my fault. Let me know what would work better on Mac!

I changed his extension's shortcut to option-w and the world is back to right again!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Ahhh...OK. That was the next thing to look at - Firefox Extensions.

Glad it is resolved, and thanks for posting the solution in case others come across the same issue.

Be well,

C

Ask a Question