Optical Mouse Behaving Erratically

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago my USB optical mouse started to behave erratically and it is gradually getting worse. By erratically I mean it will turn on and off, I can see the optical light flickers. It will only move a few centimeters on the screen before jumping back a few centimeters, it clicks on things when i never pressed the button and will scroll up and down randomly. It is important to mention this happens with ALL the mice I have tried to use, so far I have tested 4 separate mice.

All my other USB devices work fine (keyboard, printer ipod etc) so I know it's not a faulty USB (I have also tried plugging the mouse into all different USB slots) I have tried cleaning them, unplugging them for a while, upgrading my computers software, cleaning the hard drive etc. I have no idea what it could be and neither has anyone else I have asked and it's driving me crazy as it takes ages just to click anywhere!

Ask a Question