old iBook?

Reaction score
I'v been looking into getting an old g3 iBook ya know one of those coloured ones blue/tangarene off eBay and my budget is £150 my question is could i get one in good condition with Panther on it or could i use my iMac installition disks to stick it on if not?

I just basicly need the iBook for word proccsing web etc. nuthin else :)

Or Should i wait a few months and get a powerbook from apple?

Ric

Reaction score
Buyer beware !!!

I would be a bit carefull, if I were you. I like eBay, and use it a lot. I have only ever bought a laptop once, off eBay and unfortunately the description didn't mention the fact the screen was washed out, and needed replacing. (G3 Powerbook,Wallstreet - £112.00)

Whilst, it would be possible to use you Panther install disk's, you're software license is for only one Mac.

You might get one for around £150, but they generally go for more than that.

Have a search for "clamshell ibook", that might return more results.

Remember to check the specs however, you need at least MB of ram if you want to run Panther on it.
If you have an option of waiting and buying new, then that may be the better option.

By the time you have added all the unseen extras, extra RAM, Airport card if required, OS install disks etc. you might well end up spending nearly as much as you would on a new Mac.

If you do bid on a Laptop on eBay just make sure you read the ad very, very carefully, there are quite a few Laptop Auctions that seem genuine, but they are not selling a Laptop they just make you think that they are...they are actually selling you an address for a website where you are meant to be able to get one for free!!!

Reaction score
Well atm i'm bidding on a 466MHz with 192 RAM 10GB actual sale and he says he has just made repairs to it new logic board but i very much doubt it'll stay under £150 as i have seen lower spec clamshell go for over £150 with problems. but hey you never know. :)

chances are i'll be outbid so i'll buy a powerbook in the summer

Ric

Reaction score
Good luck, but don't get bidding fever and put in a last minute bid, just to win.

Decide on your Max price and stick to it, it is nice to win an auction but don't get caught up in the race to win and end up with a donkey !!

(unless of course you were bidding on a donkey...)

Reaction score
hehe yeah that's happend to me before (I was bidding on a used dvd box set and got to the new price but got outbidded then the buyer emailed me 2 say that the winner doesnt want it so do you want it my last bid)
But I had already bought it new from WHSmith lol :D

but I think i'll let this on go and buy a new Powerbook later on :)

Ask a Question