Old Applications don't recognize different printer

Reaction score
I just installed a different printer (HP932) on a OS X 10 running in the Classic environment with old versions of Word and AOL. The previous printer was an Epson. I deleted the Epson from the Printer Set-up Utility and made the HP the default printer. When I try to print in either Word or AOL, the Epson dialogue box opens and of course can't find the printer. Is there some other setting in the old software that would get the programs to recognize the printer? I think that Safari did recognize the HP.

With much appreciation,
Helena

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Helena and welcome,

Can you print in OS X or is it just when you are running programs via Classic ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric,

I'm so glad I found this site and you! I'm not at that computer today, but will be there in about 24 hours. As I was able to print from Safari, would that be from OS X or Classic? Is there a way I can tell? This is the first Mac I have used in about 10 years so I'm not familiar with them but am pretty comfortable with exploring and learning.

Thanks,
Helena

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

We're glad you found us to !

Safari only works in OS X, so hopefully the 'OS X' side of your Mac is okay.

When you are in Classic...try going to the Apple Menu-->Chooser and select the Printer.

This is from memory, I haven't played with classic for a while !

I shall double check for you, seeing as I have 24 hrs ;-)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric,

It worked! I was surprised to see the Epson printer listed in Chooser, as I removed it from the Printer set-up utility. How do I remove that old software? You may hear from me again as I re-enter the Mac world after 10 years of PCing it!

Much gratitude,
Helena

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Helena,

I'm glad it worked !

I probably wouldn't worry about removing the Epson Printer Driver, it's not taking up any space, and if you remove the wrong bits...it may all go capuutt !

Feel free to ak as many questions as you want !

There all free !

Welcome back to the fold...

regards

Ric

Ask a Question