not booting after shutdown.

Reaction score
something tragic has happened to my macbook.
during the new intel upgrade, my open progs froze and i was unable to open others. i noticed that my download for the new update had also froze just before completion.
i waited a while, but basically i couldnt get a response from anything. regrettably, after trying everything i could (force quit, etc.) i used the power button to shut it down manually. presumably, because the download wasn't 100% complete, my macbook is in limbo - as it cannot get past the initial loading screen (with apple logo) and boot. i had a cd in the drive, but i just ejected it by holding down the touchpad button.

i have searched google, but have not found an exact solution to this specific problem - i don't want to execute something when it may not be neccessary or the right thing to do. therefore, i need an accurate solution that will not sacrifice any of my files. is resetting the parameter ram worth trying? i cannot access safe mode, as i do not hear any start-up chime - although, i have tried holding down shift anyway, before the apple logo and gear is displayed - but i have still had no luck.

i have nothing backed up but i have recently bought an external hardrive.

thank you in advance.

/otemblast.

Ask a Question