Newbie Trying to Use Automator With Scanner

Reaction score
From what I can see, Automator looks pretty cool. I am absolutely new to automating tasks and workflows (though I do know how to do batch actions in Photoshop), so thanks in advance for your patience. BTW, I have tried the Help menu item in the app itself, but (perhaps not surprisingly) I am not finding the answers I need.

I can see the premade tasks in the Applications folder, but the workflow I want to create is involves setting my scanner to certain settings for multiple scans I'll be doing. My scanner software isn't on the list, so I have gotten as far as creating a new workflow in "My Workflows," and moving the scan icon from the Finder window into Automator. Automator is calling this first step "Get Specified Finder Items," and my scanner software icon appears in step 1. So far so good.

Running this step doesn't launch the scanner software; apparently "Getting" the Finder Item isn't the same as launching it. Since launching the scanner software is fairly important to use my scanner, this needs to be my first step. I'm guessing after getting over this hurdle I'll be able to use the same method to add each additonal step in the process (choosing scan settings, starting a scan, and so on).

How do I tell Automator to launch my scanner software?

Reaction score
Bingo! Answered my own question after hunting around in here.

The solution, for others who may have a similar problem in the future:

I needed to choose the Finder in the Apps list and make launching the scanner software via the Finder my first step.

I think I'm getting the hang of this! :cool:

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

depending on what you are trying to do, you may not be able to do it in Automator.

You may need AppleScript...le t us know how you are doing, I'm sure we'll be able to come up with something.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question