New user

Reaction score
Is anyone out there using AOL as an ISP on their Mac ?
I have become "a new to Macintosh user" after 20 yrs of having to put up with Microsoft.
I would dearly love to switch over to Mac completely ( have just purchased a very old G4 system), but I need the above question answered.
I hope someone can advise !!!:confused:

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

What version of OS is/are you going to run on your Mac ?

I would suggest you update to the latest OS, Tiger 10.4.4 and then try that with the and latest version of AOL.

I haven't had any experience myself with AOL, so can't say whether it works well on a Mac or not.

I'd just stick it on and see how you go !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Are you on AOL broadband at all? If you are you will be fine. I have had AOL braodband working with the Mac for two years and also recently got the AOL software to work even though AOL say that their broadband client does not run on the Mac. Here is a complete rundown of instructions I posted on another forum:

http://www.net4nowtforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18513

Please note that the solution has only been known to work with Panther and Tiger - I have not heard of anyone who has tried it with an earlier version of the OS.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Chris,

have you managed to get any further ?

Do you have to use AOL software if you use them as an ISP, or can you just enter in their settings and use your own email, browser ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric,

Chris emailed me and we have managed to sort it out and get it going, which I am glad because I wans't sure the USB modem setup would work with OS9 :)

As for the software, if you are on AOL broadband, you do not need to use it. I have had AOL broadband set up for 3 years now via a router. Connected to the router are all the kids PCs, my Macs (1 PC wireless and 1 Mac wireless) and more recently the xbox 360 which my husband got for christmas.

I was anticipating problems with xbox online, but it set up like a breeze - took all of 5 minutes and he gets really good pings between 15 - 30 ms. :)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

I am not, but I used to work for them. Are you looking to use AOL Broadband or dialup?

Ask a Question