New to Mac

Reaction score
Hello folks, I am new to MACs and not having any experience with them I am seeking your help in understanding how I can bypass a login password for a previous owner.

I recently purchased a MAC 3G at a community garage sale. The computer was donated by parents and didn't have any idea that the son put a password on the computer. My problem is I can't even figure out how to get into the OS to delete or over ride the password.

I'm not familiar with the key board command, or short cuts. and not knowing anything other than DOS commands ( I know bad words, I'm sorry) I don't know were to start.

Can anyone please help me and provide some guidance? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you, anyone/everyone, for taking the time to even read this, but particularly to those who can assist me in this problem.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

Can I just check what type of Mac it is, is it a G3 ?

Did it come with any disks ?

If it comes with a disk with an X on it, possibly and OS X Panther Install CD, then put that into the drive, turn the computer off...then start it up again keeping the c key held down.

This should then allow you to boot from the CD, once the installation screen comes up keep going till the menu bar at the top has the regular set of choices on the menu bar. One of those menus is Utilities and one of the choices on that menu is Reset Password....

Once you have entered a new password you can restart the Mac, and your password will work.

Regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric, and thank you for replying. I didn't get any disks, books, or documentation with the computer. I determined it was a G-3 from the side of the tower case.

I did some research on Apple/Mac products and found only one product that fit the description, according th the information I gather from that web site, it is Power Mac G-3 "all in one" tower. the case itself is white with transparent blue and white plastice protecting the case.

Other than that I don't have any information. Not sure if it is any help.

The system boots up good, but I can't get past the login screen for the previous owner. (yeap, I have tried to locate him with no joy).

Thank you for your time and efforts. Ric F.

Ric

Reaction score
How to reset OSX password with no install disk !

Hi there,

My honest opinion is that you need to purchase a Tiger or Panther Install disk, and then you can either reset the password or do a complete new install.

Personally, I think you would be best wiping the drive anyway, as you have no idea what is/was on it.

With that said, this is the only way that I know of getting the password, unfortunately it is a bit long winded...

It would need you to boot into single user mode...copy across the password hash file to another computer and then run a Password cracker like 'John the Ripper'

I haven't posted all the steps, cause I think you will probably go for plan A ;-)

Do you know any one local to you that has a Mac, they may be able to lend you the OS X disk to reset your password.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric I want to thank you again for you assistance with this matter, I will take your advise and purchase a new OS disk. Not knowing the commands and short cuts this way I may also get the opportunity to learn Mac a little better.

Once again I want to thank you for your time and efforts on my behalf. I will continue to visit the site and keep you updated with my process and dilemmas.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

no problem !

We're here to help.

If you get a Tiger Disk (10.4.6) this should run okay on your Mac, I have Tiger running on a similar one...depending on how much Ram is in it in may need a little more.

Tiger Requirements

Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G3, G4 or G5 processor
Built-in FireWire
DVD drive for installation
256MB of RAM
3GB of available hard disk space (4GB if you install the developer tools)

Let us know how you get on. Oh and you may be best getting a "Retail" DVD and not an ebay one, as they can tend to be for specific Macs and you will end up out of pocket...

regards

Ric

Ask a Question