New to Mac - Do I need to re-intall my External Hard Drives' software for it to work?

Reaction score
First, I'm guessing I shouldn't be posting ness. in this thread but ok.

Yeah so I have a W-D External and I have just gotten a Mac, obviously I can still play and use everything on it. However, I cannot add to it ("Cannot write to this location"). So I am assuming that this is because it was previously formatted for Windows before..

Should I back up all my data and un-install/re-install? Or do I have some sort of other problem to deal with..

I would also like to note that I cannot exactly find the W-D CD it came with so.. I hope I am not screwed..

thanks..

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Re: New to Mac - Do I need to re-intall my External Hard Drives' software for it to w

Hi lude,

It depends on whether you wish to use your WD Ext drive with both Windows & Mac computers ... Either way, you would use Disc Utility which is in the Utilities folder that lives in the Applications folder.

Either way you are going to have to reformat the drive. This means you need to deal with the files/data that's already on the drive before you do anything.

The format you need to use if you want to share the drive between Windows/Mac is MS DOS and the format to use if you just want to use the WD Drive with your Mac depends on what model Mac you have.

Ask a Question