New switcher with some questions..

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I got my shiny new MacBook Pro delivered today and have a couple of OSX related questions; I have only ever used Windows (I've been suffering since version 3.11!) and OSX is like a dream come true.

I have some questions about apps though: I downloaded messenger for Mac and installed etc and trashed the .dmg file, thinking that once the program has been installed/expanded, it's installed and wil work. Not so. The next time I start OSX up the icon in the dock displays a question mark when clicked on. I have to go into the apps folder every time to start it up. The same with FireFox.

Do I have to keep these .dmg files?

I'm kinda confused and would be grateful to anyone who can briefly explain the way OSX works with installations/files etc.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Don't worry, I think I sorted it out...any useful nuggets of information would be appreciated though.

Bye!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

you are correct you don't need to keep the .dmg files once the installer has finished. Sometimes it's best to do a restart...then check that the 'newly' installed App is working ok and then trash the .dmg file.

The ? mark icons in the Dock mean that for some reason the Dock has lost the 'link' to the App it was pointing at...

...so drag the offending ? icons from the Dock to the Desktop, they should then disappear from the Dock in a puff of smoke !

Then open your hard disk icon navigate to the Applications folder then into the specific Application that you want...and then click and drag that App to the Dock.

Welcome to the Mac world !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric, thanks for the reply. I deleted the messenger dmg file and the firefox dmg but again, once trashed, the question marks appeared.

It looks like you do need the dmg files for firefox and msn.

Do you use firefox? If so try deleting the dmg (if you want) and if it does the same then I guess we'll know!

Otherwise I guess I'll have to keep them!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

yes I have/use Firefox...I'll uninstall and then reinstall it to show you...

Watch this Movie...it may become clearer !

From what you have said it's sounds like your are dragging the Application (FireFox) into the Dock from the .dmg

...when

you need to drag the Application (FireFox) into the Applications Folder on your hard drive...then drag 'that' icon into the Dock.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
OK cool thanks so much for your help!

Will check it out in the morning.

Cheers Ric.

Reaction score
Just watched the movie, thanks very much for your great help! All is clear now!

Thanks again Ric.

Ric

Reaction score
No problem, glad it helped !

some applications do come with an Installer (just like in Windows) but some it's just as easy at the one above, it's just a matter of copying them over to the Applications folder.

If you have a choice where to 'install' an Application just like we did with Firefox, you are always best to put it in the "Applications Folder" it keeps things neat and if you ever do a "Archive & Install" (the closest equivalent is like System Restore XP) then it would 'keep' Firefox and you wouldn't have to download it again.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Perfecto!

Makes so much sense doesn't it?! The whole Mac philosophy is logical!

Thanks again.

Ask a Question