new member with restart troubles 7 & questions

Reaction score
Hello-
(new member with restart troubles & questions) I am new to the forum and found it while searching for help.
I have a problem re-starting. I have inadvertently unplugged my Imac and got the dreaded "? " in folder flashing on screen. I have my original disk that came with the comp (used), but it is packed deep-deep in storage (wasn't thinking).
Have tried to restart with keyboard unplugged, tried to restart while holding command + s, tried to restart while holding down the option key which stops the flashing question mark and allows me to see the mouse cursor, but nothing else happens- I am not able too see anything else.
In trying to keep from emptying my storage garage to find my disk, I am curious if it is possible to buy the snow leopard 10.6 upgrade and use it to restart my mac? I have also heard that a "disk warrior" may help to get me restarted and then I can just choose to install new system?
Hopefully not too stupid of a question-I have used macs for many years without much trouble and have always had a great IT team to take care of all the software/hardware updates so I've not really had much experience taking care of my own.
Thanks for any tips you all may have that can help me out.
Best regards, Mike

Reaction score
Hello and welcome
the flashing? In the folder indicates that the system has lost its way possibly due to the incorrect method in which it was switched off last time. Unfortunately the only way to overcome this is to start it from a source other than the hard drive, this means either the original software discs or a third party software disc such as disk Warrior. If you don't have the third-party disk I am afraid the only method of being able to start the computer is by inserting the original software desk and start the computer whilst holding down the C key. I had this is of use to you.
Kind regards
Teapot

Ask a Question