New MacBook owner, AirPort will not connect to AOL wireless.

Reaction score
Hi all

I have just been converted to Apple after 10 years of owning Windows based systems. My first mac arrives on Thursday, a MacBook 13" 2.16Ghz 120Gb.

My other half owns a MacBook Pro and has been coaching me on the differences & wonders of OS X. However, one problem we have yet to find a solution for is that he cannot get AirPort to connect to my wireless network. He can connect via a network cable to the router but not wirelessly.

His laptop also runs Windows Vista, and when logged into this he has no trouble connecting to the network, with 100% signal. I don't want to buy a mac and then have to swap back to Windows to connect to the internet!

I am connected to AOL Gold using a Netgear DG834G router. The soon-to-arrive MacBook is new, so running Tiger. I know that AOL is not an ideal internet provider, but I cannot change provider so I need to find a way around the problem.

The network is currently on WEP 128bit security. We tried connecting with no security at all and we still couldn't get a connection. Airport sees the network, but will not connect to it, no matter how nicely we ask!

I hope one of you clever clogs can help me out!
happy.gif

Many thanks in advance

Katie

Reaction score
Hello all. Thanks for the replies!

We have a fix, strange though it is. AirPort will only detect my network if my router is using WPA security. It does not connet if the network has no security, or if we use WEP. Very strange, but hey, I won't complain as I am now typing this from my shiny new macbook!

I am using AirPort Extreme. I will have a look at that link, thanks very much!

Ask a Question