New mac book pro, help

Reaction score
I simply cannott get rid of my 169.254 ip address, and I have tried everything!

My ISP requires DHCP, so I set up the mac to use DHCP and configured it per my ISP's instructions for proper built-in-ethernet use. Airport, bluetooth, etc, have been turned off and are not even selected in the network port config, proxies are off, everything else is correct, but I get nothing.

I have powercycled the mac about 20 times, in every possible configuration (eg - swap cable ends, manual release/renew, et-al, and...nothing.

I tried the assistant, no fix, it simply wont detect my ethernet connection.

The sad part is, after all this I just slap the ethernet cable into my PC, and walla! Instant internet.

I am 100% positive this is not an ISP, modem, cat-5 or cable line problem. I don't have a router.

Please, someone help.

:confused:

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

Just to clarify...

Where is the ethernet cable coming from ? You say that you don't have a router ?

Can you give the 'connections' list ?

Can you give us a screen grab of the Network preferences pane that you have setup ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for replying! I fixed the problem.

the problem was that I needed to remove the cable cord (co-ax) from the wall during a power cycle... for some reason...

now when I put the E-net back in the pc, it doesn't work! lol

Im loving my new mac, it's so... elegant. Now I just need to figure out how everything works. Being a PC guy, it's gonna be a while before I fully integrate.

thanks again for your reply.

:p:p

Ric

Reaction score
No problem !

Glad you fixed it !

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question