New Hard Drive

Reaction score
After some consideration about the situation with my Powerbook G4, I think it is best to just go ahead and scrap this HD and get a new one.

I know of www.ifixit.com as a place to get Apple hardware, but is there any other place I should check out first? Any suggestions on what to get? Also, how difficult is it to install a HD on a Powerbook, or should I take it to a dealer (the nearest one to me is an hour away, but I know a lot of folks in that area fortunately) and have them do it? I'm reasonably computer savvy (I put a Windows computer together recently with a friend so I could have a good gaming computer, my Powerbook is still my main school, internet, etc. computer).

Much obliged!

Reaction score
what kind of powerbook G4 do you have ?
some are quite easy to crack open and replace the hd of
the titanium G4 dvi for instance only has you pull the back plate off
while the 17 inch aluminium powerbook demands you remove the upper case and the keyboard

the least said about the ibooks the better

depending on your kind of powerbook its easiest and fastest to do it your self you wil have your book back in minutes instead of hours at bets days at worst

as far a si know any 2,5 eide drive wil work in the pb G4's

Reaction score
Well, it's a 12" aluminum Powerbook G4, so according to a guide at www.ifixit.com it looks as if I may have to remove the keyboard. It could be a bit of a challenge, but if I get a free day (this semester should be most Saturdays) it would be a good project. Thanks for the insight. I might do some other upgrades while I'm at it too.

Reaction score
there are at least 4 differnt 14 inch G4 powerbooks but they al use the same kind of eide drives
4200 rpm eide\100
so you shoudl be fine as long as you stick betwene 4200 and 5400 rpm
anything over migth get too hot
id rathe rhave slower and running cooler and more reliable then running fast and hot and the chance of ruining your hd

as far as installing the hd your self nobody can decide that but you if you think y ou can handle it then go for it if not have it installed by a dealer

Ask a Question