Need to edit open firmware to boot DVI

Reaction score
I have a G4 Titanium 800mhz Powerbook. The LCD display is defunct and I have removed the screen. It is now a defacto mac mini. When a monitor is plugged into the outboard DVI the computer works fine. The problem is that I don't get a full screen on the monitor. I only get the mirrored LCD display.
I need to change my open firmware settings to boot to the DVI out. In addition I need to make these open firmware changes in the terminal command in OSX. I suppose I can edit the open firmware settings remotely but if someone knows how I can do it through the terminal window I would be saved some time. I suppose the open firmware commands are somewhat different in the terminal window.
One more thing. I suppose that if the computer is booteed up with the lid closed it should automatically boot up to the DVI out if a monitor is attached. Mine does not.
All practical solutions to my dilemna seem to be contingent on one fact. That an attched screen is closed. There is no screen.
I am sick of trying to buy motherboards. Everyone selling motherboards on Ebay say that it is tested. They seem to be lying.
Open Firmware. Me. Help. Please.

Reaction score
I will paypal for a turnkey solution. Say 10 pounds. I don't know if that is permitted on this lovely website but I am offering not soliciting so if you can give me explicit instructions PM me. I supose my solution would require some investigation work. Apple would probably charge me if they would help at all. Any open firmware chaneges voids the warranty. My Powerbook is not still under warranty, but I doubt they would help.
If I can't offer payment on this website for a complex problem such as this please let me know.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

I am not sure that is possible...I will look into it.

No payment necessary.

C

Reaction score
Thanks, I have tried to find the information I need on the internet but there seems to be no "Open Firmware for Dummies" books. I believe the open firmware settings relevant to my video are as follows:
/pci@fooooooo
/uni-north-agp@b
/ATY,XiaParent@10/
/ATY,Xia_A
/ATY,Xia_B
My computer boots up fine to Jaguar. But I can't install an operating system on the laptop because the mirroring button doesn't seem to work during system install. It works fine after the system boots.
I know that plenty of laptops boot up to an external monitor if the lid is closed.
This Powerbook may as well. But I have no lid.
I can't install an operating system.
Thanks, Scott

Reaction score
I have figured out how to edit the firmware settings from the terminal window.
But I need the entire OF device tree.
I can't access the OF device tree from the terminal prompt.
The OF commands in terminal are slightly different than the corrersponding commands in the OF boot window.
I have looked through the terminal man pages and can't find the command.
The OF window command is
0 > dev / ls
This command displays the entire device tree in the OF boot window.
If someone could drag and drop this device tree into a post and send it I would appreciate it.
Any DVI Powerbook 667-1ghz I believe would do.
I have a 800mhz DVI 15"
Thanks

Ask a Question