Need Monitor Specs- G3 Powerbook

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have inherited a G3 Powerbook and am trying to get all the monitor specs (google and user manual not helping). What I need is:

1) Horizontal sync range

2) Vertical refresh rate

3) Drivers for the video card which shows up as:

000:00:10.0 (Bus Address?)
VGA compatable controller
ATI Technologies Inc.
Rage Mobility M3 AGP 2x
(Rev. 2)

Help very much appreciated,

ab

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there auaboot and welcome,

can you give me the model number of the Mac and I'll see if I can get the 'correct' manual (specs) for you.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric!

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm looking for the model number but am not seeing anything obvious. What I did find is the following:

Serial #: QT10509DK35
Family #: M7572
EMC No.: 1840-1
Video Memory: 8 mb SDRAM
Graphics controller: ATI Rage Mobility 128

The "Getting You Started With Your Powerbook" manual has no model number and the case and manual only says and refers to "Powerbook" with exception of the tag info above which was on the bottom of the case.

I'm actually installing linux on this laptop and setup is asking me for info on the monitor. After install, I just get snow on the screen. I know linux can be installed on this machine and the debian linux os version is specifically for powerpc.

Sorry I can't find any more info.

Thanks Again,

ab

Reaction score
..thats a pismo
only pismo's have the powerbook tag
if it has 2 ( overrated ) firewire plugs its a pismo

Reaction score
Drivers might be difficult to find, as I don't think think ATI makes Linux drivers for PPC processors, but only for x86.

A text file I found about the Debian (woody) install says this about the refresh rates though:
Code:
8.15.1. Settings for the X Server
---------------------------------

On iMacs, and some older Macintoshes as well, the X Server software
     doesn't calculate appropriate video settings.  You will need to choose
     the 'Advanced' option during configuration of the video settings.  For
     the monitor's horizontal sync range, enter 59-63.  You can leave the
     default for vertical refresh range.

The mouse device should be set to `/dev/input/mice'.

And, in case it might help... according to the specifications you gave, it may be any of these machines (specs pages at apple.com, though I found none that matches the family#): iBook (FireWire), iBook (Dual USB), iBook (14.1 LCD).

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Not sure how I would have found out about the hor. sync range without your email. I've been combing the Net for two days looking for those specs to no avail. I'll give this a shot when I get home from work.

Cheers,

ab

Reaction score
feh same text file i found but i didnt read that far
why replace one nix os for another ? ;p

Reaction score
It worked! It worked! Setting the horizontal sync range to the span you suggested brings up graphics perfectly.

Thanks!

ab

Reaction score
no but os X is ( built on a bsd anyway if my memory serves me correct ) under neath that pretty aqua gui its all nix
and that psimo can run X just fine

Reaction score
Good point. However, I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of Debian (my distro of choice). I think its good for me to stick with one flavor of *nix for some time and then move on. I'm actually very interested in BSD too; great OS.

-ab

Reaction score
Yeah, OS X is basically BSD but with another kernel (I think, OS X uses Mach which I don't think BSD does... I could be very wrong though), and of course Apple's proprietary GUI and various tools.

Glad it worked by the way.

Reaction score
if i remember correctly apple refers to this version of bsd as darwin
but under neath that pretty gui os X ( pronounced as ecks not 10 if it is the number then why does apple refer to it as os X 10.4 os 10 10.4 seems a bit odd so ecks it is ) is stil a *nix

Reaction score
if i remember correctly apple refers to this version of bsd as darwin
but under neath that pretty gui os X ( pronounced as ecks not 10 if it is the number then why does apple refer to it as os X 10.4 os 10 10.4 seems a bit odd so ecks it is ) is stil a *nix

Yeah, but oh-es-ex easily becomes "oh, sex", and that's not what Apple want (I think), furthermore they don't refer to the versions by numbers at all but by the feline names they're given, 10.4 is referred to as "oh-es ten tiger" (OS X Tiger, not OS X 10.4), or possibly "mac oh-es ten tiger" but I forget if they use the word "Mac".

I use "ecks ten point [whatever]" as well though, as I find it easier to order them and make it clear which version I'm referring to that way.

Reaction score
but the designation each version is given in about this mac is stil mac os X 10.x.x
instead of mac os X tiger or panther
pronouncing that and the updates as say os ten ten point four.two seems a bit silly
and not in the least confusing

i also use the ecks because almost al unix systems have an x in its name
hp ux xenix unix V linux ( i know alot of linux distro's have exotic names but they all are linux with an x in its name )
there for os X can be seen as lip service to unix to flaunt what it really is
basd unix with a mach kernel and a purty aqua gui

Ric

Reaction score
LOL @ "oh, sex"

That reminds me...back in the day when the SE30 was going to be released...rumour has it it was/should have been called the SE-X there was the Mac II then the Mac IIx then came the SE... SE 30 but should have been called the SE-x....

Ask a Question