Need AirPort help, please!

Reaction score
i haven't really used a mac in years, so i'm kind of a newbie again.

i'm helping someone who's even more of a newbie than i am, to see if her ibook has wireless capabilities. how can i tell if she has an airport card installed?

her computer is an ibook G3.

any tips? i can't seem to get the airport software to work, it keeps saying it can't work in classic.

now, stupid question time. :)
when i try to run the airport setup assistant, it says 'the required airport hardware was not found on this computer'. so DOES that mean that there is no wireless card? or if not, how can i tell?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi librarygirl and welcome.

All the iBook G3s have the option to have an Airport Card (802.11b) fitted. To check if your friend has one installed all you have to do is unclip the keyboard and you should see it straight away, there should be instruction on the underside of the keyboard about the installation of one too.

Here's a piccy of one to help you spot it. Let me know if you find one and we can take it from there if you require any further help ... ;)

If you need help getting the keyboard off, I'll need to know what iBook model your friend has .... go to the apple icon in the menu and choose "About This Mac".

Attachments

• 0101060103000104052007082690929b38cd97cf84ad00a531.jpg
    0101060103000104052007082690929b38cd97cf84ad00a531.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 301
Reaction score
shawn_dooley,
that worked great! i was able to open it up and yes, it has an airport card.

now, any ideas how i can get it to work??
when i open up airport in the applications, it tells me that the application or control panel is not supported by Classic.

Reaction score
hi s_d,
i actually got it to work! i found some instructions online and just had to click the wifi symbol at the top of the page and find the right network. then i had to go through the steps in airport assistant to set it up. seems to be working great, at least with my own wireless network here at home.

will she have to go through the same steps every time she accesses wireless somewhere, of using the airport assistant to set it up?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
You've done really great librarygirl! I haven't tried the Airport thing so I haven't direct experience with it but I have seen many threads that the settings had to be reset everytime and honestly that isn't the norm, but I couldn't say one way or another for your friend, sorry ... Hopefully not, fingers X'd.

Reaction score
This is a bit late, but Airport should automatically remember networks that you've selected before. So, for example, it will automatically connect to your home/school/work networks, but if you're at a hotel or some place where you've never used the computer at before, it will ask you what network to connect to.

Ask a Question