My screen keeps going blurry :( can anyone help?

Reaction score
About a week ago I started having this problem where my screen keeps going blurry. When the desktop appears after startup, not all the pixels will be displayed, some of my icons don't appear/only partially appear, the dock's not fully displayed either etc. (Sometimes the problems occur right away during startup and the picture's fuzzy all the way- however, after a few stops/restarts I can get it so that the screen's only a little wierd once the desktop's appeared).

Also, once it's loaded, the screen will 'shudder' for a few seconds and blur, then it will stop and do it again in a minute or so. I can still use my computer, all the software seems to be functioning normally, it's just the screen.

I thought at first it was a virus but I've updated my virus software and nothing seems to have been detected. I'd be really grateful if anyone has any ideas as to what's wrong and what I can do to fix this.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

can you tell us what type of Mac/Monitor you have ? (Make and Model)

What version of Software is the Mac running ?

thanks

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks so much for answering Rik. I've got an imac G5 (20" screen) with OSX 10.3.9. Apologies, I'm not incredibly computer-literate - do let me know if that's not enough info.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

thanks for the info...don't worry, if we need any more we'll ask ;-)

Has anything happened, physically to the iMac ?

Is it still under warranty ?

Has anything been upgraded inside the iMac recently ?

Can you create another user account ? Does the screen have the same symptoms in that account ? (let us know if you're not sure how to do this)

It certainly sounds like a hardware problem... :-(

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I don't think anything has happened to it physically - I did accidentally pull the mains lead out a while ago while the computer was on, but that's the only thing I can think of.

Yes, I think it's still under warranty but I'm not sure - I bought it off someone from ebay a few months ago, and it was new and has all the documentation but not a receipt of purchase so I'm not sure :(

I don't think anything's been upgraded recently - I've downloaded/installed a few programmes, such as the media player VLC, and it's had a few of those automatic software updates via the internet, but that's it.

I don't know how to set up another user account but I'd be glad to do so if you could tell me :)

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it,

Barbara

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Barbara,

pulling the mains lead won't have done it any harm...

I would try and register your Mac... https://register.apple.com/

Then this should hopefully, let you get it serviced under warranty, if needed.

Did you buy it off a company or a person ? Maybe they have/would give you the original receipt ?

To set up a another user...

This is a handy way of seeing if it is a software or hardware problem...when a new account is 'generated' it is made with a fresh copy of the system software...so any software you have downloaded that possibly may be affecting the screen shouldn't affect the new account, in theory !

I will put you a guide up in a bit...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
You are brilliant, thank you - I'll have a go at registering. This forum is a godsend - I'd have no idea what to do otherwise.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

if you want to create a new account, for testing purposes try this...

Movie

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks so much for this. The fault was still there, but I've now found out it's a hardware fault with the Video RAM. I found one of the disks which the computer came with which had a 'hardware test' on it, which the manual suggested to do, and it found what the problem is. So now I've got to take it to a shop to fix it :( Thanks for your help anyway, it's really appreciated, I was getting a bit panicky!

Ric

Reaction score
Glad you're on your way to fixing it !

If you haven't taken it to the shop yet...did you get anywhere with the Apple Warranty...it may be able to fixed for free.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
hi!

Yes, luckily I can get it fixed for free! When I registered with apple I found out that the computer had been bought in Oct 2004, and therefore the one year warranty had expired. However, apple gave me the number of my nearest mac computer repair place affiliated with them, and the guy said that my serial number showed the computer was part of a batch with some known problems, so that apple had extended the warranty on them, so I could get it fixed for free :) So I'm relieved about that. It's going to take 2-3 weeks apparently though, so I've only got computer access at work till then - don't know how I'm going to survive :(

Thanks so much for your help anyway, I really appreciate it!

Ric

Reaction score
Free sounds good !

Whilst you're on a roll, maybe try and ask Apple if they will do you the "AppleCare Extended Warranty" (you are a few months late extending it...but because of this known problem they may take pity and let you !)

That is of course if you want it.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question