My i book is dying please help me? anyone? please

Reaction score
Hi guys.. I hope you can help me!

I bought a 2004 ibook g4 800mhz 128 ram ( 512 ddr ram added total 640mb) 32vram off a friend last september. it ran fine until one night i was using it to dj at a party and drunkenly dropped it outside on the floor .

After that, it worked fine for a month but then i had a catalogue of random issues such as not finding the startup disk, and having errors on the disk. I then erased the disk, reparied, and reinstalling osx, then it works fine , for about 10 minutes, after which the beach ball comes and doenst go.

The odd thing is, sometimes it sees the Hard disk in the disk utility, and other times it doenst, its just a case of restarting and sometimes it does and doesn't. Then it wouldn't do anything, except getting stuck on the spinning circle and apple when starting up.

So i assumed it was the hard disk, so i bought and JUST fitted a brand new Hard disk, everything was ok, until after 15 minutes , when again, the same problem - also when i try to download things it would say "cannot create file"

now , sometimes it sees the disk, sometimes not, sometimes it loads, sometimes not, its just so confusing. I have no warranty, and am scared the apple people will cost a lot of money? Its strange - the hardware test shows no faults..any ideas ?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

with it being dropped, I wonder if one of the RAM chips has become slightly unseated ?

Have you tried taking the RAM chips out and putting them back in ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I would guess that it could be a heat related issue. Your problem seems typical of any heat related problem - mac or pc. When you dropped it one of your case fans may have become disconnected or otherwise nonop. I have included a link to a online takedown manual for your computer. Take it apart and put it togerther again. Its as easy as pie.
http://www.powerbooktech.com/knowledge,type-6.htm

Ask a Question