Mouse cursor frozen

Reaction score
A friend (Bob Marsden, a member of this forum) disconnected his firewire broadband connection for a moment, and on reconnecting it finds that his mouse won't function. He says he's tried jiggling all the cables, restarting the machine, changing the batteries etc., all to no avail. Obviously, he can't get online so he asked me to appeal here for ideas. Are you there, Ric?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'll be 'in' after 8pm ! Ankle biter needs bath, stories, trains...

...in the meantime, what type of Mouse is it (batteries?) a wireless one ?

Try to turn everything off, re insert cables, turn everything back on and try again.

Obviously, he can't get online

Is this a separate problem ?

Try going to the System Preferences-->Keyboard & Mouse to see whats set up ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks. I passed your message on to Bob by phone, and he says that it's a wireless mouse but that he's got others and they won't work either. He also says that he's tried disconnecting, restarting etc. His keyboard won't function either, so although his mac appears to be working he can't do anything on it, e.g. get online.

I suggested he try booting from the Tiger installer disc or from TechTool Pro, which I know he has, but I think he said there's a CD in the drive and now he can't get it out.

He said that he's contacted his local mac dealer and can take his machine in there tomorrow, so maybe that'll be the solution.

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks.

Well, if the local Apple Store is an option in the morning...

Sounds like a few different problems.

I would unplug everything, so that only the keyboard and monitor are plugged in, then reboot.

I presume Bob has tried plugging the keyboard into a different USB port ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric,
Your minimal solution worked. The hub must have failed. Mouse & keyboard work from the back of the computer, but not from the hub. Instead of driving into town with a computer in the back, I'll bike in & buy a new hub from the Apple Store. If things come in 3s, I can't remember whether I've had the 3, or I've 1 to come. Dealing with computers encourages superstitious thinking.

Best wishes
Bob

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Bob,

glad it's working !

I had a black Cat called Lucky, when I was growing up!

Keep avoiding those ladders...

regards

Ric

Ask a Question