missing text entry box in mac help OS X panther

Reaction score
When initially installed, there was a text entry box for the search feature under Mac Help menu. The text box(Ask a question) has now disappeared. Know how to revive it without reloading OS X ?

Reaction score
The text entry box appears to only be missing in Finder-Mac Help and Safari Help applications. When I attempt to "customize" the tool bar under the View option, I get an error message that states "The application Help viewer has unexpectically quit. Would you like to submit a bug report to Apple? Never got a response...

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

OK...

My Help Viewer also crashes when I try to customize the toolbar in Panther. I do have the search box in Safari and Finder Help though.

You won't get a response from Apple by submitting a bug report...so don't hold your breath. ;)

You can try a couple of things to remedy this:

1. Create another user account, login, and see if it does the same thing.

2. Delete the following file located in Macintosh HD > Users > yourname > Library > Preferences:

com.apple.helpviewer.plist

3. Run Disk Utility and Repair Disk Permissions on your startup drive.

C

Reaction score
Tried the three suggestions..no luck. I'll just live with it until I upgrade. Many thanks for the help anyways...

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

One more thing to try...download and reapply the Mac OS X 10.3.9 Combo Update.

Sometimes that will "repair" strange quirks.

C

Ask a Question