Messages not displaying properly in Entourage

Reaction score
This is a problem that's cropped up in the last month: some html messages, or just parts of html messages are displaying as random characters (or gibberish). It seems to be the sections that are derived from a database. And here's the kicker, if I click on REPLY, the gibberish in the reply message is readable (albeit, not in it's original html format), or the reply message is just blank.

I'm having this problem on my computer at home (Mac, OS 10.4.6, Entourage 11.2.3). I noticed this problem during the previous update of Entourage and it got worse after the last update. Originally, when I had missing images and gibberish text, I clicked on DISPLAY IMAGES and the images came up and the gibberish text correctly displayed. That doesn't happen anymore.

One more thing, I've got the same set up at work (same OS and Entourage version on an Exchange Server) with exactly the same settings. No problem there.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance... Jay

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Jay and welcome !

This is generally an Encoding issue...

The email contains characters that are encoded in one way...and your email software can not understand the encoding.

You sometimes see a similar thing on web pages when your browser doesn't understand the encoding and all the symbols look weird...

When you say there is no problem with the same setup at work...are you accessing the exact same email from home and also work ?

The Exchange server at work is more than likely 'recognising' the encoding and supplying it to you correctly...

(this is where you tell me that you access the work email server from home too ;-))

I presume you 'have' to use Entourage ? Do the messages display correctly in other Mail software ?

It's hard to tell you exactly what's happening without seeing the raw email...

if they're not confidential then by all means send me one, to (e-mail address removed) the best way of sending it would be to click on it and then view source then select all then copy that and paste it into a TextEdit document then attach to an email and send...(alternatively, you can just forward it if you want)

I'll try and see if I can find out anything else in the meantime !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks, Ric.

I've forwarded one of the problem emails to you as well as a screen shot of what the message looks like when viewed.

Other info:

1. No, I'm not accessing the same email messages from both work and home, but the same type of messages arrive at both locations. I haven't run into any of these problems at work. I agree with your statement that the Exchange Server is recognising the format and adjusting accordingly.

2. Entourage is the only email client I'm using. I haven't tried accessing it in another client.

Thanks for your help!

Jay

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Jay,

thanks for the info.

I have received the email thanks, I'll take a proper look at it later tonight !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Do you have a solution to "Messages not displaying properly in Entourage" - this happened to me once before and is happening again. I was instructed to delete a file that corrupted itself - and would rebuild - but for the life of me I can not remember the process. Any suggestions

Reaction score
you need to delete library/caches/com.microsoft.browserfont.cache from your home folder.

Ask a Question