Mail - setting 'rules'

Reaction score
Hi all....wonder if you can stop me banging my head against my desk again?
I have only once (more than a year ago) sucessfully set up a rule to reply to emails I receive while away on holiday.

After trying all sorts of combinations of forward/reply to/redirect in Rules, in the hope of at least forwarding on to my hotmail if I can't get it to do an auto reply, I've got no where. I've also fiddled with my domain hosting settings, hoping to get all emails to forward but nothing is happening.

I'm using Tiger on an ibook G4. Am I missing something glaringly obvious that is stopping it replying or forwarding even when I've checked my rule to be active?

Any thoughts would be great, going away for a week on Saturday.
anna

Reaction score
Hello Sheepie

Is the rule setup the exact same as it was a year ago when it was working fine? And now it's not working?

Reaction score
Hi guys, yes I'm doing the same thing (using rules) but I really can't remember the commands I set it to last time, however, thank you Ric...I shall try setting the first condition from 'any' to 'to'. I'm sure it will work. thank you again!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

uou will have to do a rule for each email address you want it to work for...

So if you have:

(e-mail address removed)

(e-mail address removed)

etc then you need one for each.

If you have your own domain...

xyz.com

Then you can set up one rule where the to address is just @xyz.com without specifying the user. Then anything received with xyz.com in the address would get a reply.

Obviously make sure that your Mac is set to not turn off or go into sleep !

The best way of doing it would be via your hosting provider...

I presume you have a 'control panel' to change settings, if so look for a button that says 'responder'...it depends on what type of 'panel' it is cpanel or plesk etc.

If you can set it up that way, then you don't have to leave your Mac on.

Happy hollidays !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I'm ok on the collecting all emails etc front...
Well the rule is working, however, it seems to have (yet again, its happened before!) sent the message out to everyone, not just to those who send me email as a reply (which is what I had hoped for!) I'm assuming its to do with saying yes to 'include open folders' ?

As for my hosting, I've got it set up to forward on (although this isn't working either yet) but there is no option for auto response, so I'm going to quiz them about that now! many thanks again.

Reaction score
And any tips on how to STOP it sending an 'i'm away' message as a reply to EVERY person you've ever emailed? :(

Ric

Reaction score
Hi anna,

sorry missed this one...

Did you get it sorted or are you now away ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I was away! (back now obviously..after no internet access or phone signal for a week :eek: )

I didn't get it sorted really....I think most people know I have issues with the 'rules' and don't bother telling me 'I had 42 auto emails from you today' although one person has, therefore it must have sent the'i'm away' message as a reply to every single email I still had in my inboxes.

I'll eventually work it out.........sometime....!

Ask a Question