Mail app - storage usage

Reaction score
Hi, I have an issue with the default Maill app. I checked the storage usage and it said Mail is using over 70GB of storage space.

I thought it might be all the attachments and stuff, so I wanted to use CleanMyMac, but after searching, it found only 30GB of attachments. Somewhere I found, that maybe removing the email address, could also remove all the attachments with it, so I removed the address.

After removing the address, I checked again with the CleanMyMac and it now showed only 900MB, but when I checked the storage space in system, it still showed over 70GB, without any change.

By this point I also tried to remove the Mail app, but without any luck.

Reaction score
Hi, @ErikZ!

Hmmm... That's a puzzling issue you've got there. What I would do first is check if there's a 'Mail Downloads' folder in your Library. It might be storing attachments you've opened, even if you've deleted them from your emails.

Second, when you removed your email address, it's possible not everything got deleted. Try re-adding the email address, then removing it again.

Also, if you're up for it, you could try a system reboot. Sometimes this can clear up system reporting errors.

Let us know how it goes!

Ask a Question