MacBook Pro Trackpad Button stuck

Reaction score
Hi,

Haven't been on here for AGES, which, is actually great news but now I have a small (or big depending on what you guys say) problem.

All of a sudden the trackpad on my (2007) MacBook Pro has, for want of a better expression, lost it's click! It's kinda stuck down. I can't see how this can be resolved?

First thought was, off to the Apple Store (for me in Glasgow) but what would happen there? Is this an easy fix? What of money or inconvenience etc?

TS :(

Reaction score
Mine too. I have the same book and I use it constantly. I noticed that the button wasn't clicking like it normally does. I also have phantom clicking so that while I type the cursor moves and repositions itself mid paragraph.

I don't think it's the button. I've noticed too that I can make the button click just by tapping next to the track pad.

My theory is this - I often move my laptop using one hand, my right hand, and I grip the computer close to center but not on the track pad. Over time I think I've pinched the case slightly so that the top and bottom of the case are closer together. If this is true then the mouse button is closer to the sensor that it clicks down on, so close that it's in an almost permanent click. When I touch next to the track pad the slight pressure compresses the case and brings the button and sensor together causing an unintended click.

What I've done is first connect a mouse and disable the trackpad while a mouse is connected, its in preferences. Next I intend to take out the battery just below and see if I can some how reverse the "pinch". If I'm correct than just removing the battery should fix the click problem.

I don't have time to mess with this now. The mighty mouse has solved the problem.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

without seeing it, it's hard to tell !

But I would say it's more than likely a trip to the Apple Store...

Unless you are happy taking the case off to see why it's stuck...

Is it still under warranty ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I don't know if my handling of the laptop had anything to do with this problem but it goes away as soon as I removed the battery. When I place the battery on a flat surface it becomes clear that it is warped. Without the battery the button clicks perfectly, no trackpad issues.

I'll have to see what Apple Care can do for me.

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for that !

They don't make them like they used to...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I don't know if my handling of the laptop had anything to do with this problem but it goes away as soon as I removed the battery. When I place the battery on a flat surface it becomes clear that it is warped. Without the battery the button clicks perfectly, no trackpad issues.

I'll have to see what Apple Care can do for me.

FYI: I was having an issue with my trackpad as yo described. My battery was warped and that was the problem. I figured this out after reading your post. The battery must have been jamming the trackpad. I am so happy. This is great to be able to check out problems online. I will bookmark this site, Thanks, John

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Good to hear you sorted it out jper33 ... sounds like a very unusual issue ... hope see you around here sometime :)

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
It may seem to be a little deserted around here but we are volunteers after all so the more the merrier, John!

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 15inch MacBook Pro 2.4ghz a while back. I managed to get the top-case off but couldn't sort it out myself. Ended up taking it to MacEmergency in London for repair in London - they never replaced it but simply reshaped the underside of the trackpad and got it working again perfectly

Reaction score
Hi,
First time here. This popped up first on google search.
Gotta say, surprisingly simple solution to what I thought was a trip to the apple store for sure.
I recently worked on a "backup" MBP 17" 2.16Ghz (c.2006) and had it on for two days straight. Third day it seemed like the track pad was randomly activating ("clicking"). Switched to a wireless USB mouse, same thing. I was about to head to Apple store (luckily, very close), but checked here.
As soon as I flipped over the case, it was obvious that the battery was bulging. I removed it, and problem solved. Thank you.
By the way, before checking here, I was trying to disable the onboard trackpad
and in Sys Pref. under trackpad there WAS NOT an option for "ignore trackpad when mouse is present". This machine was running OS 10.6.6.

Reaction score
WOW! I never realized how swollen the battery could get! I took it out and my trackpad problems completely fixed. That might also explain the brutal battery life I've been getting lately. New battery will be installed shortly and I'm expecting "good as new" performance.

PS. I registered just to post how amazed I was.

Ask a Question