Macbook Pro Salvage Help

Reaction score
so basically, my macbook pro was run over. the only thing broken, as far as i can tell, is the hdd and the screen. so what i am trying to do is connect a new hdd and external screen, and install os x again. my problem is, that the external screen isnt working. i cant get it to show any boot up actions. is this because there is no os installed, and it doesnt know how to configure the screen? i have a cd to boot to, but would still like some advice or suggestions. thanks in advance.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I wouldn't mess with it at all. If the damage was heavy enough to break the screen and the drive, then the power supply, logic board, etc. could be damaged and be a large fire hazard.

C

Reaction score
nothing else is cracked, so there is no fire hazard. plus, its not like im booting it up in a tub of gasoline, so no worries. besides, this is gonna work, i just need some advice.

p.s. the mac has already been replaced, this is just for fun. and if i burn the laptop and me, dont worry, im insured.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

LOL @ "this is just for fun. and if i burn the laptop and me, dont worry, im insured."

What about plugging the squished one into the new one via Firewire, power it up into Target disk mode then Install, (or clone over) from the new one...

Then once it is on, set up Apple Remote Desktop...allowing VNC access...and download Chicken of the VNC...then you can run Squishy headless via your new Mac...and you will be able to plug in an external monitor and change the settings.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
HAHAHAHA!!!! WOW...this has made my day!!!

This sounds like something I would do with one of my friends. I enjoyed reading this over my morning tea.

Reaction score
:D ...You bet I am.

Let us know how this works out for you!!! I am really interested to see if it blows up or not. :)

Reaction score
Let us know how this works out for you!!! I am really interested to see if it blows up or not. :)
yeah me too!

okay, thanks Ric, ill try that. at least, as soon as classes are done for the day. and i will most likely be back with questions.

Reaction score
well, as of yet, there have been no burning/explosions. we tried booting it up multiple ways: by itself with old & new hdd with ext screen, target disk mode (nothing showed up), and every other random way we could think of. it was so disappointing. so then we figured there was some unseen damage on the logic board, and took everything out to look at it. but alas, no huge satisfying crack across the bottom. so unless the damage is to tiny solder joints we cant see, we dont know whats wrong.

last idea is to install mac on the hdd connected as ext to the working one, then plug it into the broke one. so how do you do that? or is it possible? if that doesnt work, the parts are going to ebay.

Ask a Question