Macbook can't detect external hard drive

Reaction score
I've just switched over to Mac and I'm not too computer-savvy so I'd really appreciate any help offered. The trouble is: I have an external hard drive (Iomega HDD 80GB) which is running on its own power supply and connected to my Mac via the USB port. However, my Macbook (which is running on OSX Leopard) can't detect this hard drive. Would you happen to know a way to overcome this problem? My brother used to use it with his iMac, but it hasn't been in use for half a year after he dumped it. Now it can't be accessed by either him or me though. It doesn't show up in Finder at all but the light on the hard drive lights up once I connect it to the USB port of my Macbook.

Reaction score
Hi
have you tried restarting your Macbook with the External device connected the have a look to see if it is recognised in the system profile.
To access the system profile app click on the apple in the top left of the findermenu bar click on the "about this Mac" and then click on more info.

Ask a Question