Macbook 2.0 GH (13") Airport Card question

Reaction score
Macbook, 2.0GH, running OSX 10.4.11

This was purchased in June of 2006. My airport signal is very low lately and I have A/B'd it against other macbooks on the same networks etc. I am pretty sure it's not a software issue (even upgraded my OS to Leopard to see if it improved and it did not. Went back to 10.4 because of the front row features.)

Anyways, the part number for the airport card I need is "6613890 airport extreme card."

What's my best move here in terms of getting better signal? Do other airport cards work in this one (mine has the two antennae). Do I go with a USB adapter instead? I am not afraid to do the mechanical side of the install just don't know which part to get to OPTIMIZE my current machine. Yes, I am aware that it's an antique!

Sorry for anything I left out. i appreciate your help.

Reaction score
There are many things that can effect AirPort/WiFi speeds.

If it was the Core Duo, the AirPort Extreme card only does 802.11b/g, the later ones all did a/b/g/n.

These are cards are not upgradeable. They require an Apple Service Centre to replace if you feel it faulty.

You may be able to get an n USB device.

If you are moving large files around you can't beat plugging into ethernet. The Mac ethernet ports are self switching which means you just need to run a single cable from 1 Mac to another to setup a network. No switch needed.

Ask a Question