Mac mini wont boot

Reaction score
Hi

I wonder if anyone can help. My mac mini won't boot - nothing appears on the screen. It was working fine but then one day - nothing. I have tried powering off, removing all peripherals, target disk mode, resetting PRAM etc but nothing works. I tried rebooting from the install dvd - nothing - just took the dvd and won't return it, tried starting with mouse clicked down - nothing. I have looked at other postings and tried what has been suggested but am hampered by having nothing on a screen. ( I have tried 3 different working screens...)
Has it finally died?

Reaction score
Wow! It does seem like you've covered it all -- except taking it in to an Apple authorized dealer.

On another note, you might want to consider changing your user name. Having your name as your email address is giving spammers a full plate. Many spammers like to lurk in these help forums to collect email addresses.

Reaction score
Thank you
I am trying to change the username - I am not sure what happened there!

Reaction score
I have had this problem in a lot of laptops but there is a battery inside the mini.
If that battery has died the computer will not do a thing. If you can open your mini which is not easy to do a quick test to see if it is that battery is to pull it out and the computer should boot up if not then it most likely is not the battery. It is a cheap solution and has worked for me in the past many time when the computer would not boot up at all

Good Luck

Reaction score
Thanks - I have taken the battery out and it still won't boot - maybe I should get a new battery or should it boot without a battery in place if the battery has died (and been removed)?

Reaction score
I do not know if the mini's will boot without a battery for sure. I do know every G3, G4, and G5 that I have worked on will boot with out the battery. I do not know about the intels as I have not tried it on one yet..

Ask a Question