Mac Mini stuck on unix prompt

Reaction score
Hi All:
Just bought a Mac Mini. Wanted to reintilize the password. So reboorted with the Install CD, and BAOUM, it rebooted and is stuck on the unix prompt : localhost :/ root# CSRHIDTransitionDriver::stop IOBluetoothHCIController::start Idle Timer Stopped

Of course I tried to reboot while holding, X or C, and the mouse (originally n my PC, does it make a difference?) button down...zilch.

Any ideas ?

Many thanks.

Guillaume

Reaction score
Of course I tried to reboot while holding, X or C, and the mouse (originally n my PC, does it make a difference?)

Hehe yes, the way to do it on the Mac is hold down only the C key.

Try Zapping the Parameter Ram, worked for me as I had the same problem a few days ago.

Restart your Mac and hold down the Command(key with apple logo on) + Option(Alt) + P + R

Let it chime a few times before you let go.

Try changing the password from the /System Preferences/Accounts/ next time :)

Good Luck

Reaction score
Thanks ! Unfortunately I can't get the key combination to work as I am using an azerty keyboard ! There is some improvement though, I have managed to get the CD out and the prompt seems responsive. So if there is commnd I can type to relaunch the install after I insert the CD under unix...I'll take it ! Thanks again.

Reaction score
Do you already have Mac OSX installed on your Mini, or are you trying to install it?

Reaction score
It was alreeady installed - I bought it 6 days ago ! Maybe it corrupted when the thing restarted upon the change of the password that I performed with the install CD.

Reaction score
elgug said:
Thanks ! Unfortunately I can't get the key combination to work as I am using an azerty keyboard !

Try CTRL instead of Command.

Alternatively you can hold down Alt when restarting it and you should be able to boot from OS 9 and try to get it started that way.

Reaction score
Thanks. There is progress, it seems that it is now installing..let see how it goes. I selected Install-Update.

Ask a Question