Mac G4 Wont Turn On. -- Acts Like its unplugged

Reaction score
My Mac G4 wont turn on... It was shut of in a power failure and wont turn back on. I have tried new power cables, the reset button, and i even got another mac the exact same as mine, but it has the same problem too.
Basically when you push the power button nothing happens. It acts like its not even plugged in. I was able to pull out my hard drive and pull the data from the harddrive using another mac - (mac #3)... but what happened? and what do i need to do to get these other 2 macs up and running.

Reaction score
Try a dirrent outlet also does the power Strip have a circuit breaker? unplug everthing then try resetting breaker.

I have a power strip from TrippLite and it has surge supression and sytem if gets whacked by lighning it will burn out so that it no longer works (if a Dirrect hit) or kicks a Breaker in the box itself.

It could be that the breaker for the house outlet tripped.

If you get power back. then If you plug in your system and find it toasted. If it was caused by linemen woirking on lines and undoing the ground or shorting out could get them to replace the power supply which likely damaged

Reaction score
I was hoping that was the problem when i first found it would not turn on...
It was in a surge power strip, but that is not the problem. I have tried a completely different power cable in a different room that currently is working on a different mac. I also acquired another mac exact same as the broken one thinking i could pull my hard drives and just use this "new" mac. It has the same issue.
I'm guessing it's a power source issue. ( i have read other forums that say new battery, but i thought that had more to do with saving certain settings when the computer was unplugged and did not relate to the computers power source.)
Please tell me i'll completely wrong and its not a power source issue at all....

Reaction score
It Might be the PRAM Battery. Its a 3.5 volt battery. unlike older models that use a lithium Battery this use a mercury or alkaline Battery. That has a life of 3 to 4 years as opposed to 7 for the lithium.

open the case and look for the battery. will have shield on it that partially shields the battery. It resembles a AA batery except it about 2/3 the length.

After you replace the battery, If the computer can not be made to come on Look for a red button on the main board. if you still have your manuals for your G4 then somewhere it shows this button. push down on this button and hold for no more than 5 seconds otherwise you risk doing damage to Pram system. Then Try again.

The likely hood of two computers not work in the same identical location leads me to believe you have a power Source problem.

If Computer still won't come on Try plugging a Lamp in the same outlet you have computer plugged in if the lamp will either not work or posp the light as soon as turned on You need the help of an electrician

Reaction score
Two Computers (mac 1 & 2) g4 400mhz, were purchased from a college lab that was updating their mac lab. I had one at my house and another was in storage. Mine quite working when the power went out. The one in the closet worked last time it was turned on... but now it won't. My other mac (Mac #3) 450 mhz was at my home and unaffected by power outage. I have actually moved (mac #3) to the workstation of the 400mhz Mac that quit. ( My Guess is if a battery that needs replaced will cause this issue) that is the problem. - The 2 macs (400 mhz) have the identical battery and i would venture to say since they were in a college mac lab they were purchased at the same time.--- I will work on getting a new battery this week. if that fails. am i correct to assuem its a power source issue? And at that point it would be better to find another mac?

Ask a Question