Mac G4 manual?

Reaction score
Hello all!

I just joined this forum with hopes of finding help with an older Mac. The offending box is a G4 350mhz M5138 unit. I've read a number of posts to this forum re: the possible causes of this system's failure. As a stop-gap I have an addt'l. G4 to get my wife back up and running.

So what I need is the service manual for the PowerMac G4 M5138 ( I need to know how to disassemble the box and what tools to use). This way I can take the hard drive with all her data and place it temporarily in the back-up G4.

After all this I'd like to try to repair her G4 350mhz box.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Steven

Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't clear in my initial post. The problem with the G4 is that it will not power up. Pushing the power button produces nothing at all, no video, no sounds.

So, my plan is to take the hard drive of the dead Mac and place it in a backup G4 I've had on hand for just this sort of situation. To do this I need the manual to disassemble the box. I have no idea of the order of part removal or the proper tools to use to break it down.

Thanks!

Steven

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Steven and welcome !

Have a look in your inbox...

Opening the Mac and taking the drive out is fairly straight forward.

No special tools required, just a couple of screw drivers.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Sheesh! Yeah, it was one screw and I slid the drive right out. Dropped it into the backup G4 aand it's instant happy wife. I was certainly being a doofus and trying to be too complicated.

I'll go over the battery and reset sections of the manual you sent me via email (thanks! I hope I can eventually DL the huge file ;-) and let you know if I have any problems getting to the root of the power-up problem with the older G4.

BTW, is the internal battery failure common? And how hard is it to find a replacement?

Thanks so much for your quick response!

Cheers,

Steven

Ric

Reaction score
tenpa_gyatso said:
...and it's instant happy wife....

Oh if only life was that simple, LOL !

Yes, they are nice Mac's to open up !

If you struggle with downloading it via email, I'll send you a web link !

Yes the Internal Battery does 'die' generally anytime after 3 years...

You should be able to get one from your local Apple dealer, or off a reputable dealer on ebay.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Cory. I'll swing by after work tonight and let the forum know if that resolves the power-up problem.

The great thing about all this hassle is that when I opened the backup G4 I was reminded it had 1Gb of RAM. I forgot about that! I can steal one DIMM for my eMac, my music workstation, to give it a little more head-room.

Happy Tuesday!

Steven

Ask a Question