Mac dummy needs networking help with 5620/100 for teaching

Reaction score
My wife has three Power Mac 5260/100's and a 5260/120 that she rescued from salvage a few years ago for her students to use in her Kindergarten class. She also has an iMac that used to be for her, but the teachers now have HP's, so the students are using the iMac. She has installed educational games on them for the students to use. Now she wants the students to be able to print from them, on the computer connected to the HP. She also wants them to be able to go on the Internet.

I have virtually no experience with Mac computers. I've searched for answers in the help files and on the Internet, and tried some experiments, but I'm not getting anywhere. I'm looking for some who can help me learn how to set up the computers for sharing the printer and connecting to the Internet. The iMac and one of the Power Macs have a working Internet connection, through the school network.

Would anyone here like to help me?

Jim

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Jim and welcome,

I have one of those, but it's a in storage a couple of hundred miles away !

From memory you would need a "10Base-T Ethernet" connector for each one. Some of these have the BNC connectors on, some have RJ45, and some have both, then you would need a Hub that has either BNC sockets and RJ45 to connect those Mac's to the School network, depending on what you can get hold of.

BNC connector type:
ethernet-bnc.jpg

RJ45 connector type:
ethernet-rj45.jpg

ebay may be your best bet, or contact your local Apple store to see if they have some boxed away in storage somewhere...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thank you, Ric. Sorry it took so long for me to respond. I thought I had posted a reply last week, but I don't see it. Maybe I forgot to hit the submit button after I reviewed it.

I made a mistake. It's 5260/100, not 5620/100. Plus, I forgot to mention the operating system: 7.5.3.

I think all the computers already have the hardware they need. They're all connected to the school network with ethernet cables. I can browse the Internet on one of them. I just need to know how to configure the others to do the same.

I just don't know what to do to configure them to connect to the network. I don't even know how to tell if they're connected or not.

I've downloaded a copy of Netscape, and I'm hoping that if I install it, it will automatically set up the network connection. Some time ago I bought a 7.5.3 CD on ebay, to try to re-install the system, but I get an error message when I try to use it.

Besides connecting them to the Internet, I want to set them up for printer sharing and file sharing. I've been trying to do that on the one that's already connected to the Internet, and I just keep going in circles. I've tried Apple talk in the chooser, and I don't see any of the other computers that I know are there. I've gone through the control menu over and over again, and haven't found any other way to set up the network connection, or find shared resources when I'm connected. I'm totally lost!

Now I'm searching on the Internet for some tutorial or guide to help me learn how to set up the network connection and shared resources.

Jim

Ask a Question