Mac and Palm Treo 650

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am switching cell phone carriers. I am thinking about going with alltel. They have been good my dad. Anyway, I am thinking about getting the Treo 650. Does anyone have or know anyone who has one and a Mac. I would like to sync my iCal and address book with my Treo and vice versa. So whenever I make a change in either my iCal or on Palm, both will be synced with each other. Same with my address book. After I put a contact in my Mac's address book or in my palm, I want both to update. My point is, if you any of you have one, does syncing a treo 650 with Apple's bluetooth work well for syncing your Address book and iCal and vice versa?

Thanks!

Searay

Reaction score
Well, I bought my treo last night!!!! I love it!!!! In a half an hour, I had it hotsynced using bluetooth!!!!! Easy setup all the way on the mac!!! I love the features of the treo as well!!!! I am really excited!!!!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi,

very nice.

You'll have to let us know how you get on.

Over ther years i have had numerous Palm pilot's etc...

...now I use a "Day per page" calendar and a pen ;-)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Pen and paper? what's that? ;-)

So far so good! I have installed a couple of apps now and everything has been going smoothly using iSync (Bluetooth) to sync my Palm to Mac and vice versa. Zero hiccups so far. Now, I just need a Bluetooth headset for my Palm and I will be all set. I'll keep posting here as I play around with other options and as I get into installing larger apps.

Searay

Here is a pic of my Treo 650 Smartphone. The buttons are backwards. I took this pic in Photo Booth. Hopefully you see what I mean. :)

Photo_2.jpg

Reaction score
Pretty slick phone there! The slickest thing mine can do is run a modified iTunes (only allows 100 songs)... other than that it's pretty much a standard camera phone... (It's the Motorola Rokr phone)

Reaction score
My question is regarding my Alltel Treo 650 and my MacBook. I made the switch last year to the Mac after I reached my limit of frustration with XP. I use OS X 10.4.9.

When I first tried to set up my Treo with my Mac, I was not able to set up Bluetooth. Everything seemed to be going fine until it asked me for a number for my Treo. I forget what it is called, but it is 4 digits and it was the same kind of number I had to plug in for my Bluetooth headset. Anyway, I did not know what that number for my Treo was, so i just guessed and guessed wrong, apparently. So I just gave up on the Bluetooth option. I'd love to be able to do that. So, my first question is, "How do I do that with the Alltel Treo 650?" and "How do I find out what that 4 digit number is?"

Second question involves why I can no longer sync with my USB cable. I used to be able to do this, but something changed. My workplace uses iCal and when when I synce it automatically goes into my Treo. At least it used to. I'm really not sure what happend. When I try to sync with my USB cable, I see this message: "The HotSync Operation was interupted. Some of your data was NOT backed up." When I clicked on "View Log" I got a very long list of actions that were taken. In scrolling through all of this, I found what looks to be some error messages. I have copied a portion in the middle of the log that includes the following problems with iSync Conduit (I've given a bit of the context for clarity, hopefully):

Loading “Conflict Notifier”
Notifier 'Conduit Conflict Notifier' version 1.0.0
Notifier Conduit Conflict Notifier OK
Loading “Install Conduit”
Conduit “Install” version 3.0.0
Sync type is Fast
OK Install
Loading “Apple”
Conduit “iSync Conduit” version 3.0.0
Sync type is Fast
iSync Conduit starting 3/27/07 5:52:34 AM
Timeout waiting for Sync Engine, exiting 3/27/07 5:58:51 AM
iSync Conduit: received NULL message, disconnecting... 3/27/07 5:58:51 AM
iSync Conduit synchronization failed
“iSync Conduit” failed (error = #-1)

Any help on what I should do at this point for this USB issue? I'm unable to back up data at this point (I broke down yesterday and backed up to my home computer which is a PC, just in case I might lose the data on my Treo).

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Hello sms 8589 and welcome!

I am not sure how to answer your second question other than I would suggest doing a "soft" reset of your treo by sticking your stylis in the reset hole and seeing if that fixes your USB sync problems. I apologies for lack of help on this as I don't have this problem. I will try to do some more research when I can get some time between school work.

As for the first question, that 4 digit number is called your PIN. Your treo should tell you what number you need to enter into your computer. When you go through the setup, your treo should display the number on the screen. It changes randomly each time you try to setup your treo on a computer. I would try running the setup again and see what happens. Again, I suggest a soft reset. Sorry I can't be more help. I didn't run into these problems on my initial setup. Let us know if you have more questions.

Cheerio
Searay

Reaction score
Searay, I did a soft reset and it did no good. Plus, I never remember seeing the PIN on my Treo when I tried to set up Bluetooth. I will try it again, or attempt to try it again. I'm not altogether sure how to retry the Bluetooth set up.

Reaction score
Hello sms8589!

Best of luck to you. I am new to the treo as well. This is my first smart phone and I haven't had time to fully mess around with it yet to see how to troubleshoot people's problems. Hopefully this summer I will have time. Again, sorry that I can't be more helpful.

Take care!
Searay

Ask a Question