Log Out & Back Button

D

dick

Greetings,

When I select “Logout’ from the Apple Menu in the Finder (10.4.6), on MacBook Pro, the final screen that is displayed asks for a password. I can enter my admin password and get back in.

However, that screen also has a ‘Back’ button. If I go back, I then have the option to shutdown or restart. If I select ‘Restart’, then I get in without using a password. I want to think that if I log out, then a password would be needed to get in, even if I restarted. There must be something faulty with the way I am thinking about this. Could someone pls explain why I can get around this request for a password after I select ‘logout’?

dick

Reaction score
Hi,
When you choose logout from the menus, the computer is guessing that you might want to choose a different user account; you can choose whether or not the computer requires a password at restart/startup by going to system preferences from the apple menu, choosing accounts, then setting the preference there.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

as rpphoto says, the chance are that you have got "auto login" selected...

When you boot up your Mac does it goto an Account login screen or boot stright to the Finder ?

regards

Ric

D

dick

Thanks rpphoto & Ric! Indeed, I had 'auto login' & 'show restart, shutdown...' selected.

Ask a Question