[Leopard] Issues with PubSubAgent or RSS?

karazelle

Reaction score
Hi.

This is a problem I seem to have managed to solve on my own. :D

Here is the typical scenarios (you may encounter one or more of these):
  • You keep getting the message "PubSubAgent quit unexpectedly" constantly, and ignore or restart does not help, while Safari and/or Mail.app are running.
  • Safari freeze up when you load it, usually immideately followed by the PubSubAgent crash.
  • Mail.app freeze up, or you get a warning triangle by the RSS section in the left pane. Clicking it gives you a message in the nature of the feed service cannot be contacted.
  • Safari does not let you subscribe to or view feeds, giving you an internal communications error.

PubSubAgent is the service that handles aggregation of the RSS feeds as well as .Mac bookmark synching. It's files are stored in ~/Library/PubSub.

Suggested solutions:
  • Disable .Mac Sync (didn't help for me, but helped others): Go to .Mac in System Preferences and disable .Mac sync of Bookmarks.
  • Clear out the PubSub folder. (This worked for me). Quit Safari and Mail.app. Trash the PubSub folder, and it will be recreated when you reopen the programs. You may lose your feeds and or their content!

Ask a Question