Language Change

Reaction score
living in Japan, i keep my OS in Japanese but sometimes need to change it back to English (like when im doing something REALLY important and wanna make sure i dont screw something up, or if a non japanese speaking friend or family member is visiting...). Going into the control panel and into the international settings can be a pain if you have to switch often though....

How would i write an apple script that could do this for me? dragging the Japanese above the English and vise versa....

is this possible?
thx

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

yes this should be possible...

I shall do you a little movie...how to later tonight !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
GREAT!
take your time. ive dealt with it for a while now but i really wanted to learn some applescript and i was that this would be the kind of problem that applescript could handle. thx!!!

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

yes this should be possible...

I shall do you a little movie...how to later tonight !

regards

Ric
hey ric, any progress on the language change script yet? i havent tried it with automator yet, but i might have at it right now....
thanks

Reaction score
:)I figured it out.
I set up an automator action of "Run Shell Script" with the shell set to bin/bash/
And I pasted this code into it:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleLanguages "(ja, en)"

I made another one with the languages reversed:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleLanguages "(en, ja)"

i didnt worry about the other languages since these are the only two i use.
i saved each workflow (made of the single automator action) as a seperate application and i keep them in my dock....

handy...

congradulations self!
thanks self!
you're welcome self!

living in Japan, i keep my OS in Japanese but sometimes need to change it back to English (like when im doing something REALLY important and wanna make sure i dont screw something up, or if a non japanese speaking friend or family member is visiting...). Going into the control panel and into the international settings can be a pain if you have to switch often though....

How would i write an apple script that could do this for me? dragging the Japanese above the English and vise versa....

is this possible?
thx

Ric

Reaction score
Well done you !

Apologies, for my lack of participation...life sometimes gets in the way !

Thanks for posting your solution.

best wishes

Ric

Ask a Question