Keystroke-activated Links in PDF documents?

Discussion in 'Graphics' started by AES, May 26, 2010.

  1. AES

    AES Guest

    In making a presentation from a PDF file using a Mac or PC, you can
    almost always move forward and backward through the slides (aka document
    pages) using the left and right Arrow keys.

    But is there a way to step forward and back through _Layers_ on a single
    slide using Arrow keys, or any other designated keys?

    That is, suppose there's a situation where you want to start with a
    master slide having a background graphic and then add 4 or 5 additional
    graphic elements to it in sequence.

    Doing this by creating a single slide/page having a sequence of 4 or 5
    separate Layers can be more convenient that using the same number of
    successive slides. [Reduced file space, and only have to edit the one
    master slide if you change the background.]

    You can then step through this sequence in a presentation by creating
    mouse-clickable Links (Buttons) on the master slide. But when you're at
    a podium, clicking keyboard keys can be a lot easier than using a mouse
    -- especially on a darkened stage or when using an unfamiliar computer.

    I haven't found any way to create keystroke-activated Links in PDF
    documents -- at least, not using Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader. Do such
    exist?
     
    AES, May 26, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. In article <>,
    AES <> wrote:

    > In making a presentation from a PDF file using a Mac or PC, you can
    > almost always move forward and backward through the slides (aka document
    > pages) using the left and right Arrow keys.
    >
    > But is there a way to step forward and back through _Layers_ on a single
    > slide using Arrow keys, or any other designated keys?
    >
    > That is, suppose there's a situation where you want to start with a
    > master slide having a background graphic and then add 4 or 5 additional
    > graphic elements to it in sequence.
    >
    > Doing this by creating a single slide/page having a sequence of 4 or 5
    > separate Layers can be more convenient that using the same number of
    > successive slides. [Reduced file space, and only have to edit the one
    > master slide if you change the background.]
    >
    > You can then step through this sequence in a presentation by creating
    > mouse-clickable Links (Buttons) on the master slide. But when you're at
    > a podium, clicking keyboard keys can be a lot easier than using a mouse
    > -- especially on a darkened stage or when using an unfamiliar computer.
    >
    > I haven't found any way to create keystroke-activated Links in PDF
    > documents -- at least, not using Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader. Do such
    > exist?


    The ability to go between pages in a PDF is a function of the program
    that's displaying the PDF file. On Mac, it's typically Preview or Adobe
    Reader. On PC, I don't really know or care.

    PDF files are final-published form documents that Adobe provides the
    spec for. They also provide the software to create them (Adobe Acrobat
    Professional at $299 pre seat). I'm sure you can use it to compose
    documents that allow you to navigate through the objects on a page but
    giving the PDF file to someone else takes all that away. I haven't used
    Acrobat Professional to explore the features to the depth you have. If
    it's not doing something you need, why not ask Adobe to enhance their
    product accordingly?

    --
    DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee...
    [I filter all Goggle Groups posts, so any reply may be automatically ignored]
     
    Michael Vilain, May 26, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. AES

    Wes Groleau Guest

    On 05-26-2010 10:52, AES wrote:
    > In making a presentation from a PDF file using a Mac or PC, you can
    > almost always move forward and backward through the slides (aka document
    > pages) using the left and right Arrow keys.
    >
    > But is there a way to step forward and back through _Layers_ on a single
    > slide using Arrow keys, or any other designated keys?


    PDF's main purpose is not presentations.

    PowerPoint can do this [1]

    Keynote, probably, but I haven't tried it.

    [1] Remember, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Third World Comes to the U.S.
    http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/russell?itemid=1505
     
    Wes Groleau, May 26, 2010
    #3
  4. AES

    steggy Guest

    AES schreef:
    > In making a presentation from a PDF file using a Mac or PC, you can
    > almost always move forward and backward through the slides (aka document
    > pages) using the left and right Arrow keys.
    >
    > But is there a way to step forward and back through _Layers_ on a single
    > slide using Arrow keys, or any other designated keys?
    >
    > That is, suppose there's a situation where you want to start with a
    > master slide having a background graphic and then add 4 or 5 additional
    > graphic elements to it in sequence.
    >
    > Doing this by creating a single slide/page having a sequence of 4 or 5
    > separate Layers can be more convenient that using the same number of
    > successive slides. [Reduced file space, and only have to edit the one
    > master slide if you change the background.]
    >
    > You can then step through this sequence in a presentation by creating
    > mouse-clickable Links (Buttons) on the master slide. But when you're at
    > a podium, clicking keyboard keys can be a lot easier than using a mouse
    > -- especially on a darkened stage or when using an unfamiliar computer.
    >
    > I haven't found any way to create keystroke-activated Links in PDF
    > documents -- at least, not using Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader. Do such
    > exist?



    Might this be what you are looking for?

    http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Acrobat/9.0/Standard/WS58a04a822e3e50102bd615109794195ff-7ae9.w.html
     
    steggy, May 26, 2010
    #4
  5. AES

    AES Guest

    In article <>,
    steggy <> wrote:

    > > I haven't found any way to create keystroke-activated Links in PDF
    > > documents -- at least, not using Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader. Do such
    > > exist?

    >
    >
    > Might this be what you are looking for?
    >
    > http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Acrobat/9.0/Standard/WS58a04a822e3e50102bd61510979
    > 4195ff-7ae9.w.html


    Might be -- it's titled "Keys for navigating a PDF".

    At first glance, however, neither of the formal Adobe PDF terms "Layer"
    or "Links" seems to appear anywhere in it.

    The opening table does show, however, in addition to key commands for
    First, Last, Previous, and Next _Page_, two other key commands for Next
    and Previous _Screen_.

    Maybe that's what I'm after -- will have to try it. (The fat "Adobe PDF
    Bible" that's on my bookshelf doesn't seem to have any index entries for
    "Screen" used in this sense, however.)

    [
     
    AES, May 27, 2010
    #5
  6. AES

    steggy Guest

    AES schreef:
    > In article <>,
    > steggy <> wrote:
    >
    >>> I haven't found any way to create keystroke-activated Links in PDF
    >>> documents -- at least, not using Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader. Do such
    >>> exist?

    >>
    >> Might this be what you are looking for?
    >>
    >> http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Acrobat/9.0/Standard/WS58a04a822e3e50102bd61510979
    >> 4195ff-7ae9.w.html

    >
    > Might be -- it's titled "Keys for navigating a PDF".
    >
    > At first glance, however, neither of the formal Adobe PDF terms "Layer"
    > or "Links" seems to appear anywhere in it.
    >
    > The opening table does show, however, in addition to key commands for
    > First, Last, Previous, and Next _Page_, two other key commands for Next
    > and Previous _Screen_.
    >
    > Maybe that's what I'm after -- will have to try it. (The fat "Adobe PDF
    > Bible" that's on my bookshelf doesn't seem to have any index entries for
    > "Screen" used in this sense, however.)
    >
    > [



    Not sure what "Layers" can be in PDF.
     
    steggy, May 27, 2010
    #6
  7. In article <>,
    steggy <> wrote:

    > AES schreef:
    > > In article <>,
    > > steggy <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>> I haven't found any way to create keystroke-activated Links in PDF
    > >>> documents -- at least, not using Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader. Do such
    > >>> exist?
    > >>
    > >> Might this be what you are looking for?
    > >>
    > >> http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Acrobat/9.0/Standard/WS58a04a822e3e50102bd61510
    > >> 979
    > >> 4195ff-7ae9.w.html

    > >
    > > Might be -- it's titled "Keys for navigating a PDF".
    > >
    > > At first glance, however, neither of the formal Adobe PDF terms "Layer"
    > > or "Links" seems to appear anywhere in it.
    > >
    > > The opening table does show, however, in addition to key commands for
    > > First, Last, Previous, and Next _Page_, two other key commands for Next
    > > and Previous _Screen_.
    > >
    > > Maybe that's what I'm after -- will have to try it. (The fat "Adobe PDF
    > > Bible" that's on my bookshelf doesn't seem to have any index entries for
    > > "Screen" used in this sense, however.)
    > >
    > > [

    >
    >
    > Not sure what "Layers" can be in PDF.


    In regular PDF files, they don't exist as does the OP's expectation
    about PDF files. Don't think he's gonna get anywhere with this one, but
    maybe he has John Warnock's ear. You never know.

    --
    DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee...
    [I filter all Goggle Groups posts, so any reply may be automatically ignored]
     
    Michael Vilain, May 28, 2010
    #7
  8. AES

    AES Guest

    steggy <> writes:

    > > Not sure what "Layers" can be in PDF.


    And Michael Vilain <> writes:

    > In regular PDF files, they don't exist as does the OP's expectation
    > about PDF files. Don't think he's gonna get anywhere with this one, but
    > maybe he has John Warnock's ear. You never know.


    And this OP goes to the 505 page users' guide on his HD -- the one that
    Adobe supplied at the time he purchased his copy of Adobe Acrobat
    Standard 7.0, and that can also be downloaded from Adobe's web site --
    and copies and pastes the following:

    About Adobe PDF layers (boldface title line)

    Acrobat supports the display, navigation, and printing of layered
    Adobe PDF content output by applications such as Adobe InDesign,
    AutoCAD, and Visio.

    You can rename and merge layers, change the properties of layers,
    and add actions to layers. You can also lock layers to prevent them
    from being hidden.

    To create layers while exporting InDesign CS or later documents to
    PDF, make sure that Compatibility is set to Acrobat 6 (PDF 1.5) and
    that Create Acrobat Layers is selected in the Export PDF dialog box.

    and shortly thereafter

    Viewing layers (another boldface title line)

    Information can be stored on different layers of an Adobe PDF
    document. The layers that appear in the PDF document are based
    on the layers created in the original application. You can examine
    the layers and show or hide the content associated with each layer
    by using the Layers tab in the Navigation pane. For more information
    on working with layers, see About Adobe PDF layers.

    Don't have Warnock's ear; do at least attempt to know what I'm talking
    about before posting; and do definitely know how to use "Kill" files.
     
    AES, May 28, 2010
    #8
  9. In article
    <>,
    AES <> wrote:

    > steggy <> writes:
    >
    > > > Not sure what "Layers" can be in PDF.

    >
    > And Michael Vilain <> writes:
    >
    > > In regular PDF files, they don't exist as does the OP's expectation
    > > about PDF files. Don't think he's gonna get anywhere with this one, but
    > > maybe he has John Warnock's ear. You never know.

    >
    > And this OP goes to the 505 page users' guide on his HD -- the one that
    > Adobe supplied at the time he purchased his copy of Adobe Acrobat
    > Standard 7.0, and that can also be downloaded from Adobe's web site --
    > and copies and pastes the following:
    >
    > About Adobe PDF layers (boldface title line)
    >
    > Acrobat supports the display, navigation, and printing of layered
    > Adobe PDF content output by applications such as Adobe InDesign,
    > AutoCAD, and Visio.
    >
    > You can rename and merge layers, change the properties of layers,
    > and add actions to layers. You can also lock layers to prevent them
    > from being hidden.
    >
    > To create layers while exporting InDesign CS or later documents to
    > PDF, make sure that Compatibility is set to Acrobat 6 (PDF 1.5) and
    > that Create Acrobat Layers is selected in the Export PDF dialog box.
    >
    > and shortly thereafter
    >
    > Viewing layers (another boldface title line)
    >
    > Information can be stored on different layers of an Adobe PDF
    > document. The layers that appear in the PDF document are based
    > on the layers created in the original application. You can examine
    > the layers and show or hide the content associated with each layer
    > by using the Layers tab in the Navigation pane. For more information
    > on working with layers, see About Adobe PDF layers.
    >
    > Don't have Warnock's ear; do at least attempt to know what I'm talking
    > about before posting; and do definitely know how to use "Kill" files.


    This is a function of the program reading the PDF file. If Preview or
    Adobe Reader don't allow you to select and navigate objects created in
    PDF files, contact the vendor of those programs.

    Reader ==> John Warnock
    Preview ==> Steve Jobs

    I've seen Photoshop actively use the objects you talk about. But not
    any other program. Pages doesn't seem to support reading PDF files only
    outputing to PDF. Intaglio can read PDF files but the file is seen as a
    single page graphic with no objects. Didn't investigate other
    applications. I leave that up to you.

    If you can write perl, you could cobble a GUI program with Perl/Tk and
    various CPAN PDF modules to do this sort of thing. If it's that
    important to you, I think you'll have to.

    Good luck with that.

    --
    DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee...
    [I filter all Goggle Groups posts, so any reply may be automatically ignored]
     
    Michael Vilain, May 28, 2010
    #9
  10. AES

    steggy Guest

    Michael Vilain schreef:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > AES <> wrote:
    >
    >> steggy <> writes:
    >>
    >>>> Not sure what "Layers" can be in PDF.

    >> And Michael Vilain <> writes:
    >>
    >>> In regular PDF files, they don't exist as does the OP's expectation
    >>> about PDF files. Don't think he's gonna get anywhere with this one, but
    >>> maybe he has John Warnock's ear. You never know.

    >> And this OP goes to the 505 page users' guide on his HD -- the one that
    >> Adobe supplied at the time he purchased his copy of Adobe Acrobat
    >> Standard 7.0, and that can also be downloaded from Adobe's web site --
    >> and copies and pastes the following:
    >>
    >> About Adobe PDF layers (boldface title line)
    >>
    >> Acrobat supports the display, navigation, and printing of layered
    >> Adobe PDF content output by applications such as Adobe InDesign,
    >> AutoCAD, and Visio.
    >>
    >> You can rename and merge layers, change the properties of layers,
    >> and add actions to layers. You can also lock layers to prevent them
    >> from being hidden.
    >>
    >> To create layers while exporting InDesign CS or later documents to
    >> PDF, make sure that Compatibility is set to Acrobat 6 (PDF 1.5) and
    >> that Create Acrobat Layers is selected in the Export PDF dialog box.
    >>
    >> and shortly thereafter
    >>
    >> Viewing layers (another boldface title line)
    >>
    >> Information can be stored on different layers of an Adobe PDF
    >> document. The layers that appear in the PDF document are based
    >> on the layers created in the original application. You can examine
    >> the layers and show or hide the content associated with each layer
    >> by using the Layers tab in the Navigation pane. For more information
    >> on working with layers, see About Adobe PDF layers.
    >>
    >> Don't have Warnock's ear; do at least attempt to know what I'm talking
    >> about before posting; and do definitely know how to use "Kill" files.

    >
    > This is a function of the program reading the PDF file. If Preview or
    > Adobe Reader don't allow you to select and navigate objects created in
    > PDF files, contact the vendor of those programs.
    >
    > Reader ==> John Warnock
    > Preview ==> Steve Jobs
    >
    > I've seen Photoshop actively use the objects you talk about. But not
    > any other program. Pages doesn't seem to support reading PDF files only
    > outputing to PDF. Intaglio can read PDF files but the file is seen as a
    > single page graphic with no objects. Didn't investigate other
    > applications. I leave that up to you.
    >
    > If you can write perl, you could cobble a GUI program with Perl/Tk and
    > various CPAN PDF modules to do this sort of thing. If it's that
    > important to you, I think you'll have to.
    >
    > Good luck with that.
    >



    But Illustrator is great in changing PDF-files.
     
    steggy, May 28, 2010
    #10
  11. In article <>,
    steggy <> wrote:

    > Michael Vilain schreef:
    > > In article
    > > <>,
    > > AES <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> steggy <> writes:
    > >>
    > >>>> Not sure what "Layers" can be in PDF.
    > >> And Michael Vilain <> writes:
    > >>
    > >>> In regular PDF files, they don't exist as does the OP's expectation
    > >>> about PDF files. Don't think he's gonna get anywhere with this one, but
    > >>> maybe he has John Warnock's ear. You never know.
    > >> And this OP goes to the 505 page users' guide on his HD -- the one that
    > >> Adobe supplied at the time he purchased his copy of Adobe Acrobat
    > >> Standard 7.0, and that can also be downloaded from Adobe's web site --
    > >> and copies and pastes the following:
    > >>
    > >> About Adobe PDF layers (boldface title line)
    > >>
    > >> Acrobat supports the display, navigation, and printing of layered
    > >> Adobe PDF content output by applications such as Adobe InDesign,
    > >> AutoCAD, and Visio.
    > >>
    > >> You can rename and merge layers, change the properties of layers,
    > >> and add actions to layers. You can also lock layers to prevent them
    > >> from being hidden.
    > >>
    > >> To create layers while exporting InDesign CS or later documents to
    > >> PDF, make sure that Compatibility is set to Acrobat 6 (PDF 1.5) and
    > >> that Create Acrobat Layers is selected in the Export PDF dialog box.
    > >>
    > >> and shortly thereafter
    > >>
    > >> Viewing layers (another boldface title line)
    > >>
    > >> Information can be stored on different layers of an Adobe PDF
    > >> document. The layers that appear in the PDF document are based
    > >> on the layers created in the original application. You can examine
    > >> the layers and show or hide the content associated with each layer
    > >> by using the Layers tab in the Navigation pane. For more information
    > >> on working with layers, see About Adobe PDF layers.
    > >>
    > >> Don't have Warnock's ear; do at least attempt to know what I'm talking
    > >> about before posting; and do definitely know how to use "Kill" files.

    > >
    > > This is a function of the program reading the PDF file. If Preview or
    > > Adobe Reader don't allow you to select and navigate objects created in
    > > PDF files, contact the vendor of those programs.
    > >
    > > Reader ==> John Warnock
    > > Preview ==> Steve Jobs
    > >
    > > I've seen Photoshop actively use the objects you talk about. But not
    > > any other program. Pages doesn't seem to support reading PDF files only
    > > outputing to PDF. Intaglio can read PDF files but the file is seen as a
    > > single page graphic with no objects. Didn't investigate other
    > > applications. I leave that up to you.
    > >
    > > If you can write perl, you could cobble a GUI program with Perl/Tk and
    > > various CPAN PDF modules to do this sort of thing. If it's that
    > > important to you, I think you'll have to.
    > >
    > > Good luck with that.
    > >

    >
    >
    > But Illustrator is great in changing PDF-files.


    Yep. The OP doesn't have Powerpoint but I figured if he had any of the
    Creative Suite utilities, he'd already have what he wanted. If he's
    looking for a 3rd-party tool, that's up the to the developer of that
    tool to implement the feature he's whining about. So far, only Adobe
    does what he wants. Mostly.

    --
    DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee...
    [I filter all Goggle Groups posts, so any reply may be automatically ignored]
     
    Michael Vilain, May 29, 2010
    #11
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Similar Threads
  1. Newsbot
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    692
    Newsbot
    Nov 11, 2006
  2. AES/newspost
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    201
    David Wilson
    Aug 15, 2003
  3. mboy

    pdf & web links

    mboy, Nov 23, 2003, in forum: Apps
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    187
  4. Jean S. Barto

    Adding links for documents in iWeb?

    Jean S. Barto, Mar 13, 2006, in forum: Apps
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    203
    Jean S. Barto
    Mar 14, 2006
  5. AES
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    268
    Michael Vilain
    May 29, 2010
  6. Homer J. Simpson
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    292
    Homer J. Simpson
    Jun 5, 2006
  7. Gary
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    485
    Lewis
    Nov 17, 2010
  8. ghuffaker
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    3,367
    Spawn_Dooley
    Apr 7, 2015
Loading...