Kernel Panic Error : (Unable to find driver for this platform: Powerbook 6,5)

Reaction score
Really need some help .

I have recently purchased an ibook G4 .It had no operating system on it . I have purchased 10.4 tiger dvd discs and i inserted disc1 into the dvd drive and have proceeded to install shortly after installation begins the computer kernel panic error comes up .

(Unable to find driver for this platform: Platform)

I have tried everthing i can , i just need some help . No matter what i try this message keeps coming up.

How do i repair the kernel panic error (Unable to find driver for this platform: Platform) What does this mean and how can i fix this problem.

Thanks

pcguy

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Try starting while holding the Command-Option-Shift-Delete keys all at the same time and see if it will let you startup/install.

Do you have any external drives you could install Tiger on first?

If the above doesn't work, try this:

1. Start Mac and hold Option-Command-O-F keys
2. When the grey screen gets loaded type reset-nvram then press Return key
3. At next prompt type reset-all and the Mac will restart

See if that will allow install.

C

Reaction score
I have tried holding the Command-Option-Shift-Delete keys all at the same time , all that happens is the install will start and then a few seconds later i get the kernel panic error (Unable to find driver for this platform: Platform) , come up again.

I have also tried to install from a firewire dvd drive , thinking that my internal dvd drive wasnt working . The same message came up .

I have also removed the additional system ram, airport card and still the message comes up .

I have tried all the things that you have recommended .

How do i install tiger on an external drive??? I take it you mean external hard drive , can you explain in more detail as to how to install tiger on a external drive.

Thanks

pcguy

Reaction score
Hi pcguy. Where did you get your Tiger DVD discs from? I ask because I notice you say "I inserted disc 1"

It sounds like you could have the wrong discs for your ibook, as the message indicates that the install disc is not recognising your ibook OR that you have the Tiger "upgrade" DVD, which requires 10.3 to be on the system first.

If you purchased the discs pertaining to your Apple ibook from somewhere like ebay, they may not have been for the ibook, but advertised as so. I am leaning towards this scenario as a standard Tiger DVD it is only one disc, not several, whereas system specific discs are usually made up of 1 or 2 or even 3..

Also, the discs could be dodgy withough you knowing, because a quick search indicates this error can pertain to copied Tiger discs, and beta versions of Tiger.

I would try resetting the PMU, which you can do carefully by following these instructions:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

From some accounts of those who have dodgy discs, the following works, but you will need an external firewire hard-drive, or you will somehow need to create a partition on the existing drive (if you can). I am unsure if this will work because you are using a set of install discs instead of just one, but if you can find the install.mpkg via the DVD I cannot see why it would not work ;)

1. Put your Tiger DVD into the drive

2. Explore the DVD and find /System/Installers/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

3. Run that installer and point it to install it on the firewire drive or extra partition.

I hope this is of some help.

Reaction score
I bought the discs from an auction site in new zealand.

There are two discs .

The discs are both grey in colour . I inserted disc 1 ( os x install 10.4.4 ). This allows me to boot and the ibook look like everything is going and then the ibook restarts and the message comes up Kernel Panic Error : (Unable to find driver for this platform: Powerbook 6,5)

I have tried another version of mac os x discs 10.2.1 and the same message comes up , the ibook doesnt seem to let me install a fresh copy of os x at all . Is this normal , really confused .....

Do i need different discs or is there hardware failure on my ibook.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome...

are the disks you have "Original" or do they look copied...I'm not judging...it just helps in the process of fault finding ;-) (we've all been there at one point), same questions for the 10.2.1 disks ?

A kernel panic like that would normally be associated with a Hardware problem...do you have a digital camera...could you post a piccy of the disks...and of the message on screen it may help.

I haven't been able to track down the error your getting, but I'm off to have a look.

regards

Ric

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

If they are grey...do they say iBook on them? They sound like OEM Apple install discs, but may be for a different iBook. They ARE machine specific.

C

Reaction score
I have the same issue with the Kernel Panic Error on my G4 desktop. I got the error after a game was downloaded and froze the computer. I ran TechTools and after some repairs everything passed. When I retstarted I got the message, "Unable to find driver for this platform. PowerMac 3.1" Will the same key combinations work on a G4 desktop? I'm thinking about going straight to reloading the OS but I'd hate to lose everything and start from scratch.

Ask a Question