Kernal Panics

Reaction score
ARRGGGG!!!

Can somebody please help me. I'm experiencing a KP everytime I wake my puter from sleep mode. It's happened a few times and I just restart but now I'm starting to get ticked off because it's about the 12th time it's happened and I know it can't be good for my baby. :(

Some people have suggested it's faulty RAM, Vid RAM but I'v ran the hardware test and everything is in ship shape condition, can the hardware test be wrong? (I'll run it again just to be safe)

This happened before I reinstalled Panther and it only leads me think that it may be faulty hardware but can't be sure.

Is there sleep preferences in the system folders that may be causing KP?

Thanks for any input :D

Ric

Reaction score
Since getting your new Ram - how long has your Mac been stable ?

Any dodgy software on your 'Baby' ?

Sounds more like your iMac is not going in to deep sleep? Do you have any other bits plugged into mac ? Apart from iPod?

more to follow...

added: not that this is the solution; but I'm just interested can you open the Print & Fax pane of System Preferences and uncheck the "receive faxes on this computer" box. Having fax reception enabled prevents your Macinosh from going into sleep mode normally. That is presuming it's been selected !

more to follow...

Sleep doesn't use a great deal less leccy than running normally, just let the screen goto sleep, doesn't do it any harm being on all the time, some would argue that Unix boxes/computers in general are better left on and just rebooted from time to time: not a fix, just a thought...

more to follow...

must be tired...missed this, Danster's USB 'Wanadoo' Modem Problem , I think it may well have something to do with this, Speedtouch Modem? Driver problems?

Will check tomorrow !

more to follow...

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Ric

Ric said:
Since getting your new Ram - how long has your Mac been stable ?
I have ran the hardware test again and everything memory/Vid RAM is ok much as it was before, even before I installed the RAM it would have a KP when woken up from sleep although not all the time.

Ric said:
Any dodgy software on your 'Baby' ?

Nope or not any that I'm aware of :)

Ric said:
Sounds more like your iMac is not going in to deep sleep? Do you have any other bits plugged into mac ? Apart from iPod?

Just my iPod dock, speedtouch modem and a USB gamepad which a didn't install any drivers for it's much like a mouse so I think we can ignore that.

Ric said:
can you open the Print & Fax pane of System Preferences and uncheck the "receive faxes on this computer" box.

It was unticked

Ric said:
Sleep doesn't use a great deal less leccy than running normally, just let the screen goto sleep, doesn't do it any harm being on all the time

I'v disabled sleep mode now and I always put my display to sleep after 5 mins of inactivaty anyway.

Ric said:
must be tired...missed this, Danster's USB 'Wanadoo' Modem Problem , I think it may well have something to do with this, Speedtouch Modem? Driver problems?

Would it be possible to run a my broadband connection from my internal modem?
As I also think the drivers (whatever that means) are causing conflicts

Also I remember when I unplugged my USB modem while active and it caused a KP.
This was a while ago mind you.

P.S Sometimes my granddad comes in and switches the power off to fix lamps, washing machines or the power blows ect. while I'm out and comp is on. It's happened a few times and I'v told him but he always forgets can this cause problems with the system I.E The power suddenly getting cut and not shutting down properly?

Ric

Reaction score
I would possibly, depending on what other software you have on your Mac, and what you need to run, wipe the lot reinstall (format - clean install), and then run the mac for a few days without anything else on it except the base OS and Mac installed apps.

Don't allow it to sleep, and turn it off, if your Grandfather's due to do a bit of DIY !!

See if you have any more problems, if you don't then it must be software added later.

If you still are getting problems, then it possibly could be hardware, but I would be surprised if it is.

None of the above helps solve the problem but sometimes it's best to start with a known good start point, if you see what I mean.

Did the Speedtouch modem disk/Wanadoo disk install anything? The only experience I've had with Wanadoo/Speedtouch was on Brother in laws PC-which I had to wipe and re-install everything the other day. One thing I noticed (on his PC) was that Wanadoo seemed to put on modyfied versions of Outlook Express/Internet Explorer that constantly showed up Wanadoo adverts ??

Not very fond of USB modems - don't know why? Just don't like them, call me old fashioned but I like networks to be connected via ethernet...

Would it be possible to run a my broadband connection from my internal modem?
No, sorry. Different technology.

As I also think the drivers (whatever that means) are causing conflicts
Yes, I do believe you are right. (See below send logs)

Also I remember when I unplugged my USB modem while active and it caused a KP. This was a while ago mind you.
This is normal, don't worry about it. You did something that it didn't like and it let you know about it...

P.S Sometimes my granddad comes in and switches the power off to fix lamps, washing machines or the power blows ect. while I'm out and comp is on. It's happened a few times and I'v told him but he always forgets can this cause problems with the system I.E The power suddenly getting cut and not shutting down properly?

Grandads can do no wrong...either get a UPS or just turn it off...unfortunately he will probably never remember. No computer likes the plug being pulled without warning, epecially UNIX boxes (Mac's).

Best alternate plan, send me (email) your crash logs and I will try and see if anything sticks out...

Regards

Ric

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Ideas from an article on MacFixIt:

1. Don't disconnect/connect external devices during sleep.
2. Try closing the lid again and reopening (if iBook/PowerBook)
3. Disable/Close any apps that use network access - i.e. Mail, Safari, Software Update (disable "Check for updates:"), etc.
4. Total OS X reinstall (as already suggested here).
5. Disable automatic sleep in System Preferences
6. Turn of ALL Wake/Other options in Energy Saver
7. Turn off "Allow Bluetooth Devices to Wake this Computer"
8. Set Processor Performance to Highest (where applicable)
9. Reset PMU
10. Reset NVRAM via Open Firmware
11. Don't disconnect power cord during sleep - iBook/PowerBook.
12. Bad RAM? - As already mentioned here.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you don't understand something.

Good luck,

Cory

Ric

Reaction score
D: thanks for sending the crash logs, I will have a look at them later tonight...

if you get bored and want to have a look at what KP's are then have a read of this...

not easy reading

Regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Don't blame you, lol.

Bit late now, work tomorrow and all that, but have a had a quick look at your crash logs...

will digest them properly tomorrow.

Found this quote though, about 10.3.9, which is kind of interesting...

...Apple also listed approximately 30 areas of change and enhancement that are already reflected in build 7W72. Some of these improvements include various video driver fixes, improved Directory Services performance, Java garbage collection optimization, 'wake from sleep' performance improvements, and a new version of the Mac OS X kernel (7.9.0).

I would be interested to see if you could shut down your Mac, unplug your USB Modem and then send it to sleep and wake it up a few times to see if it still gives KP.

More tomorrow...

Reaction score
Ric said:
I would be interested to see if you could shut down your Mac, unplug your USB Modem and then send it to sleep and wake it up a few times to see if it still gives KP.

I'll try that but I'v just realized that it's after I leave my Mac for over an hour that the KP happen because I'v just tested it numerous times putting it to sleep the re-waking it and it's fine but notice that when the KP happen it's only when I return from watching some telly or go out and come back later in the day that they occur.

Ric

Reaction score
Having a look through the panics log now...

Code:
Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
		 com.TMM.iokit.udslusb(3.0.0)@0xd90000
			dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily(2.1.5)@0x800000
			dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(1.4.0)@0x91b000
			dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily(6.0.1d20)@0x3d7000
		 com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily(6.0.1d20)@0x3d7000
Exception state (sv=0x2DA86C80)

I keep coming back to your USB Modem...still investigating..more later.

Is it the 330 you have ?

New drivers here...

Ric

Reaction score
Everywhere I go, USB <---> OS X, is apparently a definate no no...

Can't find a good word about USB ADSL Modems on OS X.

I would be interested if you knew anyone who had a Ethernet ADSL Modem, that you could borrow and see if you get the same problems.

Of too search some more...

Reaction score
I'v made a post about sometimes my connection gets stuck in a loop an I have to restart this probably has something to do with the modem as well.

Also yes it is the 330 Speedtouch 330

I'm now certain that my modem is the cause of the KP, maybe from sleep it tries to get the connection back /something conflicts and it has a panic?

So is there anything I could replace it with? Apart from buying a airport card+hub

My question is,

Is it the speedtouch software or the modem itself?

I think it's the software and the people who made (Windoze programmers) it just did a 5 minute job of it and never ironed the bugs out thinking no one would ever used it .

Just my opinion, prob wrong :D

Reaction score
Was just looking on that website and found driver update

Do you think I should download and install ?

Because the speedtouch software looks pretty old and has no auto updates.

Maybe this is where the problems lie and i can fix it by downloading the new drivers.

Anyway i'll report back when I'v installed it.

Reaction score
Right I'v just installed the new speetouch driver (Can't believe i didn't think about checking for an update o well) and some new text appeared briefly at the start up so i know its an update not jus the same old driver ;)

I think it was because the driver I had was on a cd and was a very old driver with no updates and it caused conflicts with new patches of OSX maybe it was recommended for OSX 10.3.1 and I'v got 10.3.8 now and it probably had a few bugs in it anyway so hopefully the new software is up to date and has fixed my problem. (touch wood)

So enough about my illiterate/whiney posts and lets help some of the 1000s of other posts that have probably mounted up during this long ass, frustrating thread. :rolleyes:

"To the Mac-mobile Ric!"

De ne de ne de ne de (Batman theme)

Ric

Reaction score
Danster said:
..."To the Mac-mobile Ric!"

De ne de ne de ne de (Batman theme)

Very good, lol.

Have you had any success ? Has the 10.3.9 update helped ?

Reaction score
Ric said:
Have you had any success ? Has the 10.3.9 update helped ?

Well after I installed the new drivers my sister has a habit of logging me out when she users her account, and after thousands of times I'v told her to use fast user switching but doesn't listen and when she's finished she logs herself out then the comp goes to the log in screen with nobody logged in it goes into sleep mode. Then when I return and wake it up guess what happens?

So nope the new drivers haven't worked but it hasn't gone into sleep mode since I'v installed 10.3.9 so I dunno if that's help or not?

Is there any other USB modems I can use that has been tested by mac users and can recommend one?

Ric

Reaction score
Danster said:
...So nope the new drivers haven't worked but it hasn't gone into sleep mode since I'v installed 10.3.9 so I dunno if that's help or not?

Is there any other USB modems I can use that has been tested by mac users and can recommend one?

I would go down the ethernet route and throw the USB modem in the bin. (well keep it in a cupboard as a spare !)

If you get any spare cash, then I would invest in a Netgear DG834, this is a hardware Firewall and router and ADSL modem in one box. There are very nice, easy to install and relatively cheap, they also do a version with wireless built in if that's what you want.

I would stick to the one without wireless, because if and when you get your laptop the wireless specs may have changed again.

This would allow you to plug in 4 computers to share your internet connection, very easy to do. And if at some point you decided to get an Airport extreme or similar then this would plug straight into the Netgear.

I have installed a few of these and have always found them to be very reliable.

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting the snow station for when I get my laptop as it comes with an airport card already inside. But then I'd have to buy a card for my iMac as well as the station and that's a bit pricey for me atm, so i'll buy the one you recommended next week or so

Ric said:
I would stick to the one without wireless, because if and when you get your laptop the wireless specs may have changed again.

sorry i don't understand what you mean there. Are you saying the the router with wire can pick up signals? Or that if I but a wireless one it mightn't be compatible with the airport card in my laptop when I get one.

Thanks anyway

Ric

Reaction score
Just spent 3 hours replying, bang crash wallop, laptop blew a gasket...

...grrrrrrrr......

will re-type tomorrow....

Ask a Question