Kernal Panic

Reaction score
Right, I leave my Mac for 2-3 hours approx and wake from sleep and the dreaded KP restart warning screen comes up ARGGG. :eek:

This is roughly the 8th count that 8th KP i'v had in the 4-5 months i'v had my iMac and I think I should reinstall Panther

now what's the best way to go about this? I'll back up all my stuff onto iPod then what? I'v never installed panther before apart from when I first got it lol.

Is their a restore option avialible for me?

Ric

Reaction score
Re: Kernel Panic

Causes of kernel panics

Kernel panics are often caused by one or more of the following issues.
  • Defective or incompatible RAM are the most frequent causes of kernel panics.
  • Incompatible, obsolete, or corrupted kernel extensions. If a third-party kernel extension or one of its dependencies is incompatible or obsolete with respect to the version of Mac OS X you are using, kernel panics may occur when the kernel executes such extensions.
  • Likewise, if a kernel extension or one of its dependencies is corrupted, such as the result of hard disk corruption, kernel panics are likely to occur when the kernel attempts to load or execute such. (for the older generation, very similar to a extension or control panel (CDEV) file getting corrupt in OS9).
  • Incompatible, obsolete, or corrupted drivers. Similar to kernel extensions, drivers for third-party hardware which are incompatible with the version of Mac OS X you are using, or which have become corrupted, will cause in kernel panics.
  • Hard disk corruption, including bad sectors, directory corruption, and other hard-disk problems.
  • Incorrect permissions on System-related files or folders.
  • Insufficient RAM and available hard disk space.
  • Improperly installed hardware or software.
  • Defective hardware or software. Hardware failures, including a defective CPU, or programming errors can result in kernel panics.
  • Incompatible hardware this is generally the result of a third-party hardware vendor’s product failing to properly respond to the kernel or a kernel extension in an expected way.
That pretty much covers Kernel Panics ("...they're going after the kernel !" Hackers 1996...New York, Computers, Hacking, Angelina Jolie what more can you want...)

...anyway back to Dansters problem...

I think you are probably right to re-install, It is quite straight forward as long as you have backed up everything you want to keep, make sure you have all the Internet settings written down.

I'll put a step by step in the Hints and Tips Forum on how to Install Panther, this post is getting a bit long...

...you will also want to reformat your Hard Drive when installing Panther.

Ric

Reaction score
Oh, I meant to say, get yourself a copy of carbon copy cloner or something similar.

So that once you have put a fresh copy of panther on, then you can make a clone of your Hard drive, you can if you want, make new clones before adding new software.

Then if something goes wrong with the newly installed software, then at least you can go back to where you were, very similar to "Software Restore" on Win XP.

Ask a Question