iTunes problem

Reaction score
Hey

7 out of 10 times i load up my iTunes it freezes and i have to log out and back in again or mount my iPod in it's dock :(

I tried replacing iTunes and deleting all it's preffrances but it still freezes up
when I'v installed it again :mad:

any input would be apperciated :D

Ric

Reaction score
Danster said:
Hey

7 out of 10 times i load up my iTunes it freezes and i have to log out and back in again or mount my iPod in it's dock :(

I tried replacing iTunes and deleting all it's preffrances but it still freezes up
when I'v installed it again :mad:

any input would be apperciated :D
Hi, just to make diagnosis easier please let us know what version of OSX you are using, iTunes version, and mac with specs it's running on, i.e How much RAM, Hard drive Capacity, how much free space do you have, and how many songs do you currently have in iTunes?

Thanks

Ric

Reaction score
Is there anyway to put my spec's under my name?

Anyway i have a iMac G5 17" 1.8 512 RAM 80GB running OS TEN point THREE point EIGHT

*loads up iTunes to see what many songs* /crashes/ :(

Well i think i have about one and a half gig of songs 400 approx

here is a picture of everything that has a name itunes on my HD
is there anything i should delete?

Also when i deleted itunes i deleted most itunes stuff but might of missed something :eek:

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 716

Ric

Reaction score
Danster said:
you could put them in you signature file, via your UserCP, for now

Danster said:
*loads up iTunes to see what many songs* /crashes/ :(
Will iTunes load at all, or is it completely dead?

Danster said:
Well i think i have about one and a half gig of songs 400 approx
That shouldn't be a problem at all, I currently have around 10 gigs worth with no problems. Some people have reported problems when the library gets really big, 50-100 gig!

Danster said:
here is a picture of everything that has a name itunes on my HD is there anything i should delete?
Do you want to reinstall it again, if so throw them all away. Then do a new install. See below.

Danster said:
Also when i deleted itunes i deleted most itunes stuff but might of missed something

I take it that the first time you deleted iTunes you did a search for everything with the name iTunes and deleted it? And then you have done a new install?

Is this where you are at now?

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Danster said:

You can now do this by going to your UserCP and changing your profile. There is now a new box "Your Mac's Specs:"

Regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric said:
Will iTunes load at all, or is it completely dead?

I click on it then it bounces 7 secs later i hold down the icon then a application not responding comes up.
I have to log out or mount my iPod to get rid of it because force quit doesn't quit the app

Do you want to reinstall it again, if so throw them all away. Then do a new install. See below.

I put the iTunes app in the bin and alot(not all) of the junk i found when i did a search you say throw everything away but what about my music?

I have installed the iTunes app again so i don't think i will get anyway del+reinstalling that so i think it's a folder/prefferance that's causing the problem.

I have iTunes helper in my start up itams log what's that?

I'm also running synergy :cool:

Ric

Reaction score
Hi, Unless you are very familiar with OSX/unix then when uninstalling a program I would suggest something like DesInstaller (attached).

It is a simple tool that reads the receipts generated when you install a .pkg file with Apple's Installer.

Every file installed by this package is removed, even if it has been modified, and archived if you ask the DesInstaller to.

If you decide to use a reinstaller, you will get a tar archive, for portability, and a shell script with a "command" extension, to be double clickable.

Please be aware that even if the reinstalller does not actually care about its position when invoked, the two parts (the tar archive and the term shell script) are both needed in the same folder.

3 Options so far,

Option 1

Run "Preferential Treatment" this should fix any preference problems.
The file is attached.

Option 2

Follow these steps and see if this helps:-

Backup your iTunes Library- do you know where they are?

After you have removed the iTunes package (using DesInstaller) do in this order

1. Load the CD or DVD Original install disk (Panther disk 1) -- Restart

2. Check/fix the filesystem... use 'disk utility' on original install disk to repair disk... insert disk and restart holding down 'c' key. when installer appears, do not continue. Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from disc to access Disk Utility. Use 'Disk utility' from top menu. select your HD, select 1st Aid and repair disk... if repairs are made run again, then verify and quit.

3. Repair permissions ... 'disk utility' from appl.>utilities... if repairs are made run again. -- Restart

4. Download and install iTunes 4.7.x

5. Do steps 2 & 3 again Important

6. Drag the iTunes icon from dock and replace with iTunes icon from Applications folder..

7. Start iTunes by double clicking on the 'iTunes 4 Music library' file in your iTunes folder...

Option 3

Backup all your files and reload the Mac Os Software (format first and do a clean install). Make sure everything is backed up (at least twice, depending on how important it is to you!!!)

See what happens after that.... Let me know

Attachments

• DesInstaller.dmg.gz
    426 KB · Views: 592
  • pt.sit
    142.9 KB · Views: 579
Reaction score
Woah Option 3 sounds a bit drastic i mean wiping my HD :eek:

I'm gonna go with your advise on Option 2 But the desinstaller doesn't work :(

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 615
Reaction score
I don't seem to have a iTunes package I think I deleted it the other day :(
when trying to remove suspected files that may be causing the problem
I deleted everything that had the name iTunes execept the application itself
& i remeber the pkg was one of em cos it had a box next 2 it's name.
Then i see your post but everything seems to be working with itunes but i spoke too soon ARGGG

So anywho, I have no iTunes pkg is there a way to solve this problem without using desintaller i have ran repair permissions twice
(without original disks) and deleted everything that had the name itunes and i'm now stumped :(

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 564

Ric

Reaction score
Danster said:
I don't seem to have a iTunes package I think I deleted it the other day...
... everything seems to be working with itunes but i spoke too soon ARGGG

...i have ran repair permissions twice (without original disks) and deleted everything that had the name itunes and i'm now stumped :(

I am a little lost on what you have just tried?

If I understand correctly, you have run "repair permissions", then deleted all the files with iTunes name in them...

Did you do steps 2) to 7) ??

If so when you reloaded iTunes, did it work at all?

Reaction score
Ric said:
I am a little lost on what you have just tried?

If I understand correctly, you have run "repair permissions", then deleted all the files with iTunes name in them...

Did you do steps 2) to 7) ??

If so when you reloaded iTunes, did it work at all?

I deleted all the files with iTunes names THEN I ran R permissions
and I couldn't do step 2 because I deleted the itunes pkg :eek:

I deleted all the itunes files and reinstalled it but it's still crashing so it must be another file conflicting with it when it loads up.

Ric

Reaction score
Danster said:
I deleted all the files with iTunes names THEN I ran R permissions
and I couldn't do step 2 because I deleted the itunes pkg :eek:

I deleted all the itunes files and reinstalled it but it's still crashing so it must be another file conflicting with it when it loads up.

Okay, can you remember when iTunes last worked correctly?

Have you installed anything else since that time?

Try this, may or may not help,

Restart your mac in single user mode, run fsck and then reboot.

To enter single user mode:
  • 1. Shut down the computer if it is on.
    2. Press the power button to start the computer.
    3. Immediately press and hold the Command (Apple) key and the "s" key for single-user mode.
To run fsck
  1. At the command-line prompt, type: /sbin/fsck -fy
  2. press return, then wait till it's finished.
The fsck utility will go through five "phases" then return information about the disk's utilization and fragmentation. Once the check is finished, if no issue is found, you should see "** The volume (name of volume) appears to be OK."

If fsck alters, repairs, or fixes anything, it will display the message:

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

Important: If this message appears, repeat the fsck command until it no longer appears. It's OK if you need to do several "passes" of fsck, because first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues.
  1. When fsck reports that, "** The volume (name of volume) appears to be OK.", type: reboot
  2. Press return
  3. then log back in normally, and try iTunes.
Also can you find and attach the iTunes crash log

Reaction score
I have done what you have said and ** The volume (name of volume) appears to be OK came up so I rebooted.

When I logged in my iPod auto launch's iTunes and it always works it's just that when I manually launch it never works. Anywho everytime my iPod loads it up now after i fscked it, it unexpectedly quits or I load it does the same.

Now it's completely unuseable, should I call apple? or send them my crash report? :(

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 462

Ric

Reaction score
Danster said:
I have done what you have said and ** The volume (name of volume) appears to be OK came up so I rebooted.

When I logged in my iPod auto launch's iTunes and it always works it's just that when I manually launch it never works. Anywho everytime my iPod loads it up now after i fscked it, it unexpectedly quits or I load it does the same.

Now it's completely unuseable, should I call apple? or send them my crash report? :(

Let it send the report, it won't do any harm.

Does iTunes load/work without the iPod loaded?

I am right in thinking that before you ran fsck, iTunes was loading correctly - but only when you placed the iPod into the dock/connected to the Mac and allowed iTunes to load automatically.

...the problem was with clicking on iTunes in the dock?

...and now it won't work either way?

Whilst doing all this fault finding the iPod should not be connected to the Mac until we are sure that iTunes itself is working.

If you log out of your account and log into a different account, does iTunes work. (without the iPod plugged in!)

Reaction score
Ric said:
Let it send the report, it won't do any harm.

Does iTunes load/work without the iPod loaded?

I am right in thinking that before you ran fsck, iTunes was loading correctly - but only when you placed the iPod into the dock/connected to the Mac and allowed iTunes to load automatically.

...the problem was with clicking on iTunes in the dock?

...and now it won't work either way?

Whilst doing all this fault finding the iPod should not be connected to the Mac until we are sure that iTunes itself is working.

If you log out of your account and log into a different account, does iTunes work. (without the iPod plugged in!)

I think i have found the problem.

I tried to remove the firewire cable but the white casing on the connector came off and it's jammed in there so..

I'd just removed my ipod from it's dock loaded itunes and it came up instantly :eek:

I logged out switched to my sisters account which she reported problems w. itunes loading up and all was fine with itunes on her behalf so *goes back to my account*

So I loaded up iTunes again and all is well which I then quit then reload *repeated 10 times* and it works :D

Right i pop my iPod back into its dock and iTunes enexpectedly quits :eek:
so i load iTunes up again and it quits while iPod is connected

So I took my iPod out and reloaded iTunes *comes up*

(My conclusion) my iPod has been naughty and there is something wrong with it i had 2 files saved mpeg onto it which i'v deleted now
but, i turn my ipod on and all my songs have gone!
it's been wiped but i look into the about on it and it says ipod capacity 37.2 available 35.8 GB

Are my songs still on it?

And what should i do with the iPod?

Can i wipe it clean without using iTunes?

Thanks

Danny :cool:

Ric

Reaction score
Danster said:
...Are my songs still on it?

And what should i do with the iPod?

Can i wipe it clean without using iTunes?...

Right, so as far as we are aware iTunes is now working correctly. Good.

Are all your songs on you Mac?, if they are, then we can wipe your iPod and just copy them back on.

If you have all you songs then do a restore as per this doc:-

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60983

Reaction score
I followed apple's guide and restored my iPod while it was restoring the iPod went dark and after a while the software updater said "iPod software unrecognizable or something like that a waited for a while and it still said that so i quit the software updater and looked at my iPod picked it up and it just wont turn on at all i put it in it's dock (no bleep) took the cable out thinking the dock was faulty nope it just wont turn on i'v loaded up itunes and evereything my iPod just wont turn on :(

Reaction score
Hi

When I turned my iPod on today it was in working order and iTunes seems
to be ok. :)

I must have been something on my iPod that was causing it to conflict with iTunes, maybe the person I bought it off set it up for windows and didn't restore it properly. :confused:

Anywho thanks alot for your time and input in helping me solve this problem and it just goes to show that you can fix things on a
Mac without resorting to drastic lengths. *cough Windows cough*

:D

Ask a Question