Issues with IChat MAC OS X 10.4.3

Reaction score
My ichat has been very finicky, it won't connect 90% of the time. I have been having the same problems with AIM. So trashed the applications and re - downloaded the newest versions, but I am still having problems.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Are the issues you are having establishing a connection altogether? What type of Mac and Internet connection do you have?

Reaction score
yes, it says connecting then says "connecting status" for a few seconds then ichat shuts down (connection lost) or just stays in connecting status mode. my connections are mostly wi fi hot spots. I have no problems with my internet just the ichat/aim application.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

..just to add to Cory's questions...

machelpplease said:
...my connections are mostly wi fi hot spots...

Do you have a home/office Internet connection, does iChat or AIM work there, is it just when you use HotSpots that you have problems ?

I know some HotSpots that I use, only allow HTTP and SMTP, POP traffic (Internet and email), they then block all the other traffic. So when I am connected to the Internet via these HotSpots, iChat or FTP etc would not work...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
maybe that is it. I have been using a hot spot in my apartment and local coffee house wifi. I used to have no problem connecting with ichat in my home or office.

my fire wall is off and my internet sharring is off.

Ric

Reaction score
machelpplease said:
...my fire wall is off and my internet sharring is off.

Turn it on (the Firewall)! It's there to protect you from nasty people on the Internet !

;-)

I am in the process of doing a "How do I protect my Mac, post" but in the meantime...

Imagine, that when you connect to the Internet there is a 'big pipe' between your computer and the Internet, within this 'pipe' are hundreds of smaller 'pipes'...

...with me so far ?

So, when you open up your web browser and type in an address this information goes through one of the smaller 'pipes' (pipe 80...the technical term is "port 80"), email goes through another 'pipe' etc !

So from your point of view, most computer users have all the 'outgoing "pipes"' open, so anything you want to do can be done from your Mac, this is the default and how most users have the computers set up.

...but you probably want to stop any 'requests' that come from the internet down those 'pipes' to your computer.

...are you still with me ?

This is where the Firewall comes in !

If configured properly, the Firewall on your Mac effectively makes all those 'pipes' into one way doors, you can send data through them, but people on the other side of the Firewall (the Internet) can not 'come through your door'

The reason Cory was asking about the Firewall, was because for some people when using programs such as iChat with their Firewall active, they can have similar problems to you. So when ever someone has problems with iChat the first course of action it to 'turn' the Firewall off, and see if it works. Then you can turn it back on and 'open' some of the 'pipes' that iChat needs open.

It is not always the case that 'pipes' have to be open for software such as iChat to work, mine works fine with the Firewall completely blocking 'all' incoming connections !

There is an Apple document here, that explains what ports (pipes) may need to be open.

This how ever may not help, because you have no control of what ports are open on the coffee shops Firewall !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I was surprised that my firewall was off. I thought I had set it when I first got my computer. firewall is on now!

How would I test the ichat? If I hooked my computer up to the internet via phone, cable, DSL? I just think it is weird that on the same connection it will connect once and not connect again later the same day.

thanks for your help!:)

Ric

Reaction score
machelpplease said:
...How would I test the ichat?

Open up the Connection Doctor window in iChat and have a look at the errors that it throws up when trying to connect, post them here if you can...

machelpplease said:
...I just think it is weird that on the same connection it will connect once and not connect again later the same day.

Apologies, missed this bit before.

iChat relies on a hefty bit of network bandwidth, when using the hot spots does it 'not work' when the coffee shop appears to be very busy ? Does it work when there is hardly anyone in ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
my ichat has worked in places where lots of people were using wifi ie. library.

connection doctor says - no conference running

I am able to connect to bonjour, but ichat is still disconnected.

now when I try to connect it says "account name or server non valid"

Thanks!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I take it you have checked the account preferences in iChat and they are still as you originally set them up ?

connection doctor says - no conference running

This will give us more info once it tries to 'hook up' to the network...

Can you create a second user account on your Mac and try iChat from that ?

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

Well by the sound of it something in your 'main' account is not quite right !

The fact that iChat works in the second account is good, at least we know that it works.

Why not try using the second account for a week or so, to make sure that it 'always' connects when using iChat.

If it does then, you could do an Archive and Install, on your main account, which should correct whatever's up with it..

regards

Ric

Ask a Question