"Invalid leaf record count"

Reaction score
I am running Tiger on a G3 iBook. It has slowed down recently (but there are four registered and regular users, including two enthusiastic iTune downloaders). I booted up from the install disk and ran verify and repair from disk utility. It repaired permissions but left me with the following message (in red): "Invalid leaf record count (it should be 5 instead of 186)".

Should I be concerned about this? Is there a way to solve the problem? All advice welcomed. I have searched the forum but without success.
tks, ed

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

you say you've run Disk Utility from the Install CD...Is the install CD the iBook's install CD if it is, does this have Panther on it 10.3 or Tiger 10.4 ?

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
...oh and always make sure your backups are upto date 'before' running Disk Utility' etc just in case...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

My install CD is Panther. I use this for disk utilities because I interpreted the book as meaning that the original disk should be run for First Aid.

But I also have the Tiger disk which I bought for an upgrade. This is a single CD rather than a set of disks. Should I run this instead?

(This G3 iBook is used as the family "desktop". My G4, which came installed with Tiger, is used for travelling and is kept well away from the crazy downloaders of the next generation.)

ed

Reaction score
Ric, apologies: I should have read the azdvice on the site you recommended BEFORE sending my recent. Will run First Aid from the Tiger install disk.

Many thanks for your help. ed

Ric

Reaction score
Hi ed,

...and is kept well away from the crazy downloaders of the next generation

LOL

I see what you mean about interpreting the book...

Once you have updated you should 'always' use the latest "Install" disk that you have...in this case you have installed Tiger so you should run the Disk Utility from that Disk...it's actually a DVD...can your iBook read DVD's ?

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
poultney said:
Ric, apologies: I should have read the azdvice on the site you recommended BEFORE sending my recent. Will run First Aid from the Tiger install disk.

Many thanks for your help. ed

No problem, don't worry about it !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
All repaired, using the Tiger install disk, and it feels much better.

I'm putting a separate post on the hardware forum, seeking advice on how best to dispose (at no cost to anyone) of working but surplus Apple Multiscan 1705 screen and other bits. I can't find the courage to take this old friend to the municipal recycling place.

Many thanks for your help.

overnout, ed

Ric

Reaction score
Hi ed,

depending what you have as 'surplus' maybe a local School may find some use for it, the monitor will work with any Mac's or PC's, so may be of some use ?

...but knowing how this politically (challenged) correct world we live in they're probably not allowed to use it in case it short circuits etc...

I think these guys would welcome your monitor...http://www.computeraid.org/donationspecs.htm

...what else is ready for recycling ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
OMG!
I have been fighting Apple for 3 months over this.
My iMac G5 started crashing 3 months ago, online chat support told me to repair my hard disk. I have an iMac that shipped with Panther but I have since upgraded to Tiger. Online chat support told me to always boot to the Install disc #1 that came with the Mac, the Panther disc, to do a disk repair.
I ran the disk repair, it found an invalid leaf count-
1 HFS Volume unrepairable
For the last 3 months I have been taking the Mac to the repair center about this hard drive issue. Every time it was fixed, the Mac kept crashing. Apple finally replaced the hard drive. Still crashing. After I read this article, I contacted Apple and after two days have found out that the RAM upgrade I had Apple install over Christmas was faulty.
Online chat support sucks.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

I'm glad you've got it sorted.

I'm not sure why the Apple support guys told you to repair the disk with the Panther CD...that was wrong ! It would give errors !

They should have told you to use the Tiger install DVD to run repairs !

I have never used the Apple online Chat service, so I couldn't comment !

I hope that your Mac is now well, and please feel free to start a new post with any questions or tips you may have !

regards

Ric

Ask a Question